Mamoudou Gassama: Migration in the genes of Malians
Mamoudou Gassama, who is understood to have been in France for only six months, is among thousands of Malians still making the journey to Europe, despite much-publicised measures to limit immigration to the continent.
This is not only because of the failure, so far, of European Union attempts to stop people from crossing the Sahara and Mediterranean.
It is also because many of those of who leave Mali - including Mr Gassama, as his surname indicates - are from the Soninke ethnic group.
For Soninkes, travelling has for centuries been an obligatory rite of passage to manhood.
So well... read more
- 05:31 Stoke-on-Trent politician warns Birmingham off an elected mayor
- 05:31 Park Regis opens new conference and events space
- 05:21 Rowleys marks 135 years as Leicestershire’s longest established...
- 05:17 Fighting school holiday hunger in Birkenhead
- 05:10 Report claims 4x4 vehicles are causing 'systematic damage' to the...
- 05:10 Disabled pensioners says it is impossible to cross Jubilee Bridge...
- 05:10 Rusland Show returns for 'brilliant' 135th year
- 05:05 Second Brexit referendum 'the only way', says Coventry Lib Dem
- 05:05 Revealed: Number of unqualified teachers in Coventry schools
- 05:04 Australian military help rescue survivors of Solomon Islands attack...
- 05:04 Russian presence divides Czechs 50 years after Prague Spring
- 05:03 Report claims 4x4 vehicles are causing 'systematic damage' to the...
- 05:03 How you could have lung cancer - without any symptoms at all
- 05:01 Highly contagious fatal fish virus found at two Lincolnshire lakes
- 05:01 2,300 pieces of criminal property allegedly found at shop on coast
- 04:53 Minimum wage crisis as families fall £49 a week short of providing...
- 04:53 We must legalise, regulate and educate on drugs to help kids...
- 04:53 Driver's 12-hour search after Scottish Power move his Mercedes to...
- 04:53 Glasgow City Council demand Hampden remains National Stadium in...
- 04:49 Hospital safety improvements could save $1.5bn a year, health...
- 04:49 Kindergarten dresses children as jihadists for parade in Indonesia
- 04:47 Crazy Rich Asians tops US box office in weekend debut
- 04:30 California wildfires: Ferguson Fire near Yosemite contained
- 04:07 'Stupid' driver who did 140mph during M1 chase only had provisional...
- 04:07 Leicester gang tried to smuggle 5 MILLION illegal cigarettes into UK
- 03:21 Malcolm Turnbull says Peter Dutton has given him 'absolute support'
- 02:56 Nauru hunger strike: Border Force abandons multiple attempts to...
- 02:56 Sinking Leeds United crash to another defeat at Brentford
- 02:55 Burt Reynolds regrets turning down James Bond and Star Wars but...
- 02:47 Black Country drug dealer forced to pay back £60,000