Madeleine McCann private detective Kevin Halligen found dead
A private detective accused of exploiting the hunt for Madeleine McCann to fund his lavish lifestyle has been found dead.
Kevin Halligen, 56, gained notoriety when his firm Oakley International was used by the toddler's parents to help search for their missing daughter.
His Washington-based company received about £300,000 of cash donated by the public after Madeleine vanished from an Algarve resort in May 2007 at the age of three.
He was later forced to deny claims the money was actually siphoned off to pay for first-class travel, luxury hotel suites, a chauffeur and a mansion in Virginia,... read more
- 13:16 Kerala floods: Rescue efforts step up as rains begin to ease
- 13:15 Six-year-old Tilly's a clean-up star
- 13:15 Petr Cech speaks out on his new role under Arsenal manager Unai Emery
- 13:14 Crews tackle huge Notts industrial estate blaze
- 13:14 Body of man discovered in Dosthill Park in Tamworth by member of...
- 13:14 Fire rips through Rudston farm's corn crops and combine harvester
- 13:14 Tributes paid after tragic death of Wigan man
- 13:10 Perk up with this new coffee festival at FarGo Village
- 13:10 Fears for environment in Spain as pigs outnumber people
- 13:08 When do you need planning permission for work on your home?
- 13:08 Brighton vs Manchester United TV channel, kick-off time, date and odds
- 13:07 Autism can be spotted by watching babies' reactions to incy-wincy...
- 13:04 Drug driver banned after being caught over cannabis limit
- 12:59 'Man injured in stabbing' in Doncaster town centre
- 12:58 Spiders that can jump 6ft in the air spotted in the UK - and they...
- 12:58 Fleeing Venezuelans face suspicion and hostility as migration...
- 12:57 'Man injured in stabbing' in Doncaster town centre
- 12:55 CCTV shows car stolen from Leicestershire smashing through barriers...
- 12:53 Police called to Leeds house fire caused by cannabis being grown...
- 12:53 College students a cut above after achieving 100% pass rate
- 12:52 New double daily service to Turkey to launch from Birmingham Airport
- 12:51 Standard Chartered chief warning over Brexit staff moves
- 12:51 Raising £10,000 by biking from Lincoln to Grimsby was 'the least I...
- 12:50 Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder square off in ring after mega-fight...
- 12:50 Man Utd news: Mourinho puts positive spin on transfers but hails...
- 12:49 Emergency call out to ‘out of control’ Chesterfield bonfire
- 12:49 Two vehicle smash in Chesterfield
- 12:49 Firefighters rescue dog from smoked out Newbold home
- 12:43 I was told to lose weight by a modelling agency at size 8 – but...
- 12:43 Man Utd News: January signing predicted, Sanchez mystery, De Gea...