Madagascar plague death toll rises to 195 and cases have jumped nearly 3% in just three days as 'worst outbreak in 50 years' of the medieval disease hits 'crisis' point
The Madagascar plague death toll has risen to 195 with a jump of almost 3 per cent jump in cases in just three days, official figures reveal.
Some 2,267 people have been struck down by the 'medieval disease'; a rise of 64 casualties since the 2,203 cases reported last Friday, according to World Health Organization (WHO) statistics.
International aid workers are desperately battling to contain the 'crisis', which has been described as the 'worst outbreak in 50 years' and has prompted 10 nearby African countries to be placed on high alert by the WHO.
Experts have expressed fears doctors are... read more
- 05:40 The grim number of restaurants receiving written warnings for food...
- 05:40 Hair salon forced to close after 10 years blaming Paradise Circus...
- 05:39 Road to new housing development 'simply doesn't fit'
- 05:39 Captured convicted murderer Shaun Walmsley to appear in court today
- 05:35 Fears of a hard-left takeover of Yorkshire council
- 05:34 Sleaford Aldi closes for days - and this is the reason why
- 05:34 Man and woman arrested after police receive more than 20 phone...
- 05:25 Office block undergoes £4m revamp
- 05:21 Revealed: Coventry has one of worst TB rates in the country
- 05:21 Are cost savings behind increase in fly-tipping in Coventry?
- 05:15 £5m University of Leicester Innovation Hub to nurture next...
- 05:15 Cummins Solicitors wants you to run a marathon relay for...
- 05:15 2018 Leicester Mercury Business Executive of the Year Awards...
- 05:12 Just one in ten of us will be smokers in 2023, say health officials
- 05:08 Brussels urged to investigate Czech PM over business empire
- 05:05 Lucy Ward and Claire Cook join BHW Solicitors in its house-building...
- 04:56 A very Australian coup: Murdoch, Turnbull and the power of News Corp
- 04:31 Wolves boss Nuno reveals the amusing story which led to him...
- 04:31 Major changes at Aston Villa as exciting transfer link emerges
- 04:31 Darren Moore said this about Craig Dawson after making him West...
- 04:31 "It's obvious they do" - Every word from Garry Monk on Lakin,...
- 04:21 Court martial clears two accused of negligence over Leicester...
- 04:07 Pioneering US ballet dancer Arthur Mitchell dies at 84
- 03:40 'We're in love but never have sex'
- 03:14 South East Coast Ambulance Service buys second-hand ambulances
- 03:12 New Zealand to pay out millions after thousands wrongly evicted for...
- 03:08 From murder capital of Europe to role model for London
- 03:08 Three in four London students 'from ethnic minorities by 2030'
- 02:57 'Don't go cold turkey' to quit smoking
- 02:21 Earthbound Games nets £750k to self-publish game