Loss of green space leads to refusal of homes on school site
Councillors rejected a scheme to build new homes on a former school site, which was described as a ‘very raw deal’ for the north Northumberland village.
The application for 30 houses on the former county first school site in Milfield, north of Wooler on the A697, was recommended for approval at last Thursday’s meeting of the North Northumberland Local Area Council.
The school has not been in use since 2009 and the ‘closed and overgrown’ site, off Wheatriggs, features a school building and playing fields.
And it was the loss of this open green space which was one of the chief concerns of the... read more
- 14:01 Who received the first Christmas card, who sent it and in what year?
- 14:01 The NINE Manchester United players who could miss Liverpool showdown
- 14:01 Paul Merson gives verdict on whether Manchester United can beat...
- 14:00 Teenager arrested in France on suspicion of attempted murder after...
- 13:59 Police release statement after recovering shovel linked to death of...
- 13:58 Stay safe during cold snap, warns council
- 13:54 You can see Father Christmas on a practice run this evening
- 13:53 South Tyneside Primary Schools Kay Stage 2 Performance Tables 2018:...
- 13:53 How do you beat the Christmas blues? Take charge in the kitchen
- 13:53 This quirky wedding venue wants to make noise until midnight - and...
- 13:53 Fire destroys new voting machines ahead of DRC election
- 13:52 Wife of wealthy businessman told to pay £1,000 to man she left on...
- 13:52 Vigilante mother hunts down son’s sex abuser after cops tell her to...
- 13:51 Virgin Galactic is about to send a rocket ship to the edge of space
- 13:50 This Morning viewers left 'sobbing' as autistic boy, 11, meets I'm...
- 13:49 Looking back at winter
- 13:49 Receivers appointed for estate at heart of Northumberland planning row
- 13:49 £3m to be spent on road infrastructure in St Helens
- 13:48 Jaguar Land Rover crisis: Almost 400 agency workers to lose jobs...
- 13:47 Tony Adams: from the Premier League to rugby league
- 13:47 Receivers appointed for estate at heart of Northumberland planning row
- 13:46 Film reviews: Roma | The House that Jack Built | Spider-Man: Into...
- 13:44 The Thing Is With Steve Canavan
- 13:44 Cold weather health warnings have been issued as low temperatures...
- 13:44 LISTED: Locations of all of Northampton's mobile speed cameras
- 13:43 Lancashire company in £9m fake truffle farm scam
- 13:43 Sheffield's most burgled streets revealed
- 13:43 Football legend to sign copies of new book in Louth
- 13:42 The Queen needs a cleaner for Buckingham Palace - but the salary...
- 13:41 Don Your Way column: Slade’s Noddy Holder is right – old Christmas...