London-centric House of Lords fails to represent Yorkshire and North, exclusive analysis shows
The North and Yorkshire are massively under-represented in the London-centric House of Lords, new analysis of official data shows.
Just 6 per cent of peers reside in Yorkshire and Humber, compared to 8 per cent of the UK population, while the rest of the North is even worse represented.
More than half (54 per cent) of peers reside in London, the South East and the East of England.
Senior Conservative, Labour and Liberal Democrat peers have all called for action to address the imbalance, arguing that Ministers in the Upper House get an “easier ride” on northern issues, which feeds through to... read more
- 07:56 Dries Mertens hints he wants Maurizio Sarri reunion at Chelsea
- 07:56 Missing Garstang man believed to be in Lancaster
- 07:54 Mo Salah 'unhappy' at Liverpool; Manchester United eye Brazilian;...
- 07:52 Theresa May to face leadership challenge
- 07:50 Undercover police in bid to catch pickpockets in Sheffield city centre
- 07:50 Facebook HQ evacuated following bomb scare
- 07:49 Dixons Carphone posts £440m loss in first half
- 07:47 Manchester United set to up efforts to sign Middlesbrough youngster
- 07:47 Wedding Cake Rock: new fence will stop visitors climbing 'unsafe'...
- 07:46 Theresa May to face no confidence vote as Tory leadership contest...
- 07:45 This is what will fill giant hole in Coventry's skyline
- 07:44 Superdry warns worse to come as profits plunge
- 07:44 Plea to ‘throw the book’ at yobs who target firefighters after...
- 07:43 Preparing for the worse as winter brings threat of Calderdale floods
- 07:42 Strasbourg shooting: France hunts gunman as alert level raised
- 07:41 Revealed: Google's 'two-tier' workforce training document
- 07:42 Undercover police in bid to catch pickpockets in Sheffield city centre
- 07:41 M&S appoints former Sainsbury's chief Justin King to board
- 07:41 Luxury Kensington complex will have just five affordable homes
- 07:41 Uber pushed for UK congestion charges that would hit poor hardest
- 07:39 Theresa May could be delaying tomorrow’s key Brexit vote
- 07:39 Sheffield news LIVE: News, traffic and travel updates
- 07:37 Motion calling for free sanitary products to tackle 'period...
- 07:34 Lancashire news LIVE: Police investigate "unexplained" death in...
- 07:29 Why I threw chips in a homeless man’s face – and now regret it
- 07:28 Woman gave birth alone in Perth prison cell in 'degrading'...
- 07:28 'Brilliant' - Aston Villa boss Dean Smith has come in for praise...
- 07:23 Richard Money lays out his Hartlepool United blueprint as he eyes...
- 07:22 Council urging travellers to move onto Derbyshire car park
- 07:21 Bill Ryder-Jones: 'Fans tell me personal things'