Liverpool FC's first black player Howard Gayle wants MBEs changed
The first black footballer to play for Liverpool has said he turned down an MBE because it was "against my values".
Howard Gayle told the Victoria Derbyshire programme that the honour - Member of the British Empire - should have its name altered so that there is no reference to "Empire".
Mr Gayle, 58, was offered the MBE earlier this year because of his work in combating racism in football.
He also said clubs should do more to deal with homophobia in the game.
Mr Gayle, 58, started his professional career with his hometown club Liverpool in 1977, moving on to Fulham,... read more
- 20:28 Art exhibition at hospital aims to inspire others
- 20:28 Firm invests in greener vehicles
- 20:28 Improving safety at Cramlington roundabout
- 20:26 Belgian lorry driver jailed for smuggling 5 million illegal...
- 20:24 Arsenal offered chance to complete Denis Suarez transfer by Barcelona
- 20:14 Widow sues cruise line after husband struck her on zip line and died
- 20:09 Morecambe FC owners have seen changes for the better
- 20:09 Morecambe FC owners see benefits in Worcester Warriors link-up
- 20:09 What's on across Greater Manchester this Christmas - full guide
- 20:08 Facebook discover bug that could have exposed the photos of up to...
- 20:08 Student support for Winter Warmer event
- 20:08 Donna’s delight on work anniversary
- 20:01 Photos of 6,800,000 Facebook users ‘exposed’ despite not even...
- 19:59 Hull joiner sees 'scumbag' thief break into his van in...
- 19:59 Eleven die and dozens ill after eating rice at Indian temple
- 19:58 People are kicking off at Starbucks for using ‘plastic cups’ in...
- 19:56 Brazil charges former Trafigura executives with corruption
- 19:48 Man ‘poses as ex-fiance to order bizarre “revenge” execution...
- 19:42 Inside the 'filthy' Hull takeaway where everything was covered in muck
- 19:37 Thieves target North Yorkshire home in overnight Leyburn burglary
- 19:36 Editorial From Hungary to France, the working class strikes back
- 19:30 Man City news: Pep Guardiola reveals major injury update and talks...
- 19:23 Angry customers 'out of pocket after Christmas wreaths from Hull...
- 19:17 On the Road with Attila the Stockbroker How Sophie Cook chose life...
- 19:14 FC Barcelona and Edinburgh University join forces – Grant Jarvie
- 19:13 War of words rumbles on as property boss hits back at council leader
- 19:11 Scott Walker signs bills limiting powers of incoming Wisconsin...
- 19:11 Theresa May's Brexit strategy left brutally exposed by Brussels...
- 19:10 Leicester City star Kelechi Iheanacho takes on students at FIFA 19...
- 19:10 More details released about plans to fill Leicestershire quarry...