Libya: Gaddafi forces 'using cluster bombs in Misrata'
Forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi have fired cluster bombs into residential areas of the besieged city of Misrata, according to witnesses.
Human Rights Watch reported that four cluster bombs exploded in the city on Thursday and Friday, and two Libyan residents of Misrata told the Guardian that they suspected the munitions were being used.
Cluster bombs, banned by most countries in the world, explode in midair, indiscriminately throwing out dozens of high-explosive bomblets which cause widespread damage and injuries over a large area. The submunitions often fail to explode on impact but... read more
- 16:19 The insect apocalypse is upon us as research shows dramatic species...
- 16:19 This is what West Bromwich Albion think of Birmingham City
- 16:19 First police withdrew from scene where three died at St Patrick’s...
- 16:19 Rare original royal charter dating back 819 years discovered
- 16:18 Trump expands global gag rule that blocks US aid for abortion groups
- 16:18 Wanted: 15 people police urgently want to speak to in Wakefield
- 16:17 This is why part of the A444 will be closed from tomorrow
- 16:17 Brits to bask in scorching April heatwave
- 16:17 Dakota fly-past lined up for Mansfield Armed Forces Day
- 16:17 The pictures Liverpool fans DIDN'T want to see ahead of title...
- 16:16 Road closure at South Shields seafront to last until end of week
- 16:16 Major burst water main causing disruption in Rotherham
- 16:16 RFU opposes Nations Championship owing to ‘catastrophic’ relegation...
- 16:16 Did the Channel 5 show 'Britain's Favourite Crisps' get it right?
- 16:15 Parkfield School teachers 'shaking, losing weight and stressed'...
- 16:15 Tory MP Christopher Chope says knife crime victims can avoid being...
- 16:14 Scientists issue crops warning over long-term pollinator losses
- 16:14 Fifty strong choir entertains Padiham audience at church venue
- 16:13 Firecrews called to Hartlepool house blaze in early hours of morning
- 16:12 British food festival to return to Harewood
- 16:11 Ground broken for £10 million technology centre in Leamington
- 16:11 Brits to bask in scorching April heatwave
- 16:11 British food festival to return to Harewood
- 16:10 Major burst water main causing disruption in Rotherham
- 16:10 Spike in fatal fires prompts fire service to visit homes
- 16:10 Leeds patients get faster skin cancer assessments thanks to new...
- 16:09 Cash between car and lorry closes three lanes on M1 near Bolsover
- 16:09 Spirit of Shankly reveals more LFC fans racially abused by their...
- 16:09 Hartlepool street cordoned off by police after report of aggravated...
- 16:09 British food festival to return to Harewood