Lib Dem leader warns of toxic fallout of Brexit referendum
The “toxic” fallout of the Brexit referendum is fuelling the rise of the populist right in Britain, the Liberal Democrats’ leader, Vince Cable, has warned.
In his keynote speech to his party’s spring conference in Southport, Cable said the divide opened up by the June 2016 vote had left the country mired in a “protracted, non-violent civil war”.
He criticised the “poisonous rhetoric” of the Brexiteers – including Theresa May’s “citizens of nowhere” jibe – which he said was exacerbating divisions.
Cable appealed to critics of Brexit to unite behind the Lib Dems’ call for a second referendum... read more
- 05:06 An ageless tale of Coldstream’s braw trees
- 05:03 Victoria's Catholic education head appears to claim credit for...
- 05:03 Family of James Ricketson 'hesitant' about film-maker returning to...
- 05:02 In the courts of Lincolnshire
- 04:44 Hong Kong bans pro-independence party as China tightens grip
- 04:38 Work starts on £1m media centre at Champions (UK) Plc as turnover...
- 04:20 Care job vacancies in England rise to 110,000
- 04:20 Compensation for delay-hit Northern passengers extended
- 04:17 'Modicare': India's PM promises free health care for poorest citizens
- 04:13 Esports degree: 'I won't spend three years playing games'
- 04:13 The UK's most ambitious children
- 04:13 Comment: Phoenix lands in Edinburgh
- 04:07 Child mental health: Camhs 'not fit for purpose'
- 04:07 Buckingham Palace: Man released over 'Taser' keyring error
- 04:07 Contaminated blood scandal: Inquiry 'must uncover truth'
- 03:48 US-China trade: US set to impose biggest round of tariffs yet
- 03:31 Comment: Building bridges between Scotland and Ireland
- 03:31 Comment: Scouts are always prepared for business success
- 03:24 Melbourne plane crash: Pilot error in fatal shopping centre incident
- 03:24 Brett Kavanaugh: Second allegation made against court nominee
- 03:14 Whitsundays shark attacks occurred in swimming 'no-go zone',...
- 03:04 Bodyguard: The critics' verdicts on BBC show's finale
- 02:54 Brexit: Labour conference vote wording agreed
- 02:43 Brett Kavanaugh faces second allegation of sexual misconduct
- 02:32 Toyota Supra 2019: first drives, prices, specs and UK release date
- 01:35 The Aquarius: Migrant rescue ship has registration revoked
- 01:29 Germany: Merkel's coalition solves spymaster dispute that rattled...
- 01:21 Obesity could overtake smoking as biggest preventable cause of...
- 01:20 Northern agrees to compensate non-season ticket holders
- 01:13 Northern agrees to compensate non-season ticket holders