Learner drivers now allowed on motorway after law change
Learner drivers in England, Wales and Scotland are now allowed to have lessons on the motorway.
Previously only those who have passed their test could do so, but lessons are now allowed in a dual-control car with an approved driving instructor.
The government says the move will help learners gain experience to drive safely.
The law change has been welcomed by the AA and RAC Foundation, among other motoring groups.
Road safety minister Jesse Norman said: "Britain's roads are among the safest in the world, but road collisions remain the second biggest killer of young people.... read more
- 12:02 Indian police file rape case against Bollywood actor Alok Nath
- 12:02 Government figures show Mansfield and Ashfield beings hit by up to...
- 12:01 Woman followed and raped in Tower Hamlets basement
- 12:01 Tory slap Chinese TV reporter case dropped
- 12:00 Fighter dubbed ‘worst boxer EVER’ after 84-second KO in debut fight
- 11:59 Awards handed out at Blackpool jobs and work experience scheme event
- 11:59 Government figures show Mansfield and Ashfield beings hit by up to...
- 11:58 Huge crowds gather to greet Royal visitor to Derbyshire - pictures...
- 11:58 Stunning 'perfect rainbow' over Derbyshire castle one of four local...
- 11:57 I'm A Celebrity - Real reason 'vegan' Fleur East caught eating meat
- 11:56 West Yorkshire man charged with murdering three-year-old boy
- 11:56 Ikea to cut 350 jobs amid global transformation plans
- 11:55 Furious residents come out in force to oppose plans for addiction...
- 11:55 Starting a new chapter: the success story of Totley Library
- 11:55 Sport and comfort combine in Ford Fiesta ST-Line X
- 11:54 Fylde coast stretchers firm sees growth after Boost support
- 11:54 Starting a new chapter: the success story of Totley Library
- 11:54 Ask Northamptonshire police chief or crime commissioner a question...
- 11:53 Morpeth draw in top-of-table clash at York
- 11:52 Defibrillator used to SAVE LIVES damaged by vandals in Sleaford
- 11:52 Cameroon army frees kidnapped students
- 11:52 Durham University academic accused of spying in United Arab...
- 11:52 Is Chuck Liddell vs Tito Ortiz 3 on TV in the UK? Stream, fight...
- 11:52 Middlesbrough to revisit deal for defender, Leeds set to miss out...
- 11:52 Dozens of child neglect cases reported to authorities in Hartlepool...
- 11:51 Muntons fire: Praise for staff and emergency services
- 11:51 Dolce & Gabbana cancels Shanghai show amid racism row
- 11:51 Wednesday US briefing: Trump sought to prosecute Clinton and Comey
- 11:51 Guardian University Award winners: 'There's not much bling in science'
- 11:51 Parents: share your views on school trip costs