Latest news from the Border Archaeological Society
The Border Archaeological Society lecture series resumes after its Christmas break on Monday, February 5, when we welcome Dr Fraser Hunter, of the National Museum of Scotland.
Dr Hunter is the principal curator of Prehistoric and Iron Age archaeology. His talk is entitled Scotland’s Early Silver – From Roman Bribes To Pictish Bling.
Today gold is more valuable than silver, but that has not always been the case.
Silver came to these islands, and Scotland in particular, with the Roman army. It immediately became associated with prestige and power, and was used to make bribes with the local... read more
- 00:41 Bridget Fox: Now is the time to get us on road to low-carbon future
- 00:41 Police appeal over petrol bomb incidents
- 00:36 Google employees criticise 'censored China search engine'
- 00:36 US police tase 87-year-old woman cutting dandelions
- 00:26 Troubled prisons to trial £10m blitz on drugs and violence
- 00:18 A dry but cloudy Saturday in store
- 00:17 Novel way to help Syrian refugees
- 00:12 Both low and high-carb diets can raise risk of early death, study...
- 00:07 Relaxing e-cigarette laws would cut smoking deaths, say MPs
- 00:02 Why your next flight may go via China
- 00:02 AB Vajpayee: The PM who consolidated India as a nuclear power
- 00:02 'Why I never want babies'
- 00:02 They lost fingers entering Canada. Then what happened?
- 00:02 Obituary: Aretha Franklin
- 00:02 Corona beer owner to pour $4bn into weed
- 00:02 Ancient Egyptian mummification 'recipe' revealed
- 00:02 US Asians hire out cinemas to screen Crazy Rich Asians
- 00:02 Hillary Clinton praises girl for US Pledge of Allegiance protest
- 00:02 Atal Behari Vajpayee: Former India PM dies at 93
- 00:02 Islamic State claims Kabul's latest deadly attacks
- 00:02 Sweden Muslim woman who refused handshake at job interview wins case
- 00:02 Trump wages war of words with ex-CIA chief John Brennan
- 00:02 Pope Francis on side of victims of 'predator' priests in US
- 00:02 India monsoon floods 'kill 106' in Kerala
- 00:02 Wheat gene map to help 'feed the world'
- 00:02 Genoa bridge collapse: 'Miracle escape' stories emerge
- 00:02 Aretha Franklin: Tributes flow in for Queen of Soul
- 00:01 Sick babies at risk from lack of breathing tube monitoring
- 00:01 Liver transplants 'may be unnecessary thanks to new drug treatment'
- 00:01 Lena Dunham marks nine months since hysterectomy