Labour to resist pressure of committing to second referendum on Brexit
Labour’s leadership is set to resist grassroots pressure to commit to a second referendum on Brexit, shadow chancellor John McDonnell has indicated.
Speaking on the eve of the party’s annual conference in Liverpool, Mr McDonnell warned of the risk that a re-run vote could stoke far-right populism and xenophobia.
The shadow chancellor also suggested the rail industry could be renationalised within five years under a Labour government.
He told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme it would be “possible” to bring all franchises back under public control during a single term in office, amid reports he... read more
- 03:01 US moves to negotiate trade deals with Japan, UK, EU
- 02:55 Preston and Chorley Hospitals still on the road to recovery, as...
- 02:28 The best responses to Piers Morgan dad-shaming Daniel Craig
- 02:27 Preston and Chorley Hospitals still on the road to recovery, as...
- 02:22 Chelsea News: Bale for Hazard claim, striker interest confirmed,...
- 02:21 Ian Kiernan: 'Clean Up the World' environmentalist dies
- 02:04 Global register set up to keep criminals out of aid sector
- 01:53 Prince Harry and Meghan begin tour of drought-stricken Dubbo
- 01:43 Trump denounces Cohen and defends Saudi Arabia in wide-ranging...
- 01:28 Afghan drought 'displacing more people than Taliban'
- 01:24 Self-lubricating condom designed to reduce infections
- 01:17 Royal baby name odds: what will Prince Harry and Meghan Markle call...
- 01:09 Mike is a high flier
- 01:03 Why Halloween's reboot is bringing Jamie Lee Curtis so much attention
- 00:57 Bernard Ingham: My advice to Theresa May ahead of EU summit on...
- 00:53 Sarah Champion: Victims must get support in their darkest hours
- 00:48 Nigeria midwife murders: Brutal IS tactics rekindle new fears
- 00:48 Orthodox Church split: Five reasons why it matters
- 00:48 Matt Waddup: On the march for better college funds
- 00:46 Spain to beat Japan in world life expectancy league table for 2040
- 00:46 Self-lubricating condom design may encourage safe sex
- 00:40 Grace and Jack off to a Sure Start
- 00:37 ‘Nuclear option’ won’t be used
- 00:33 Divided Britain: study finds huge chasm in attitudes
- 00:32 The Yorkshire Post says: Joining up policy. Time to overhaul social...
- 00:28 China disappearances show Beijing sets its own rules
- 00:26 Sudoku 4,193 medium
- 00:26 Police reveal 10 of Merseyside's most wanted as part of 'Operation...
- 00:26 Leader of Wirral Council makes surprise decision to step down and...
- 00:19 Man Utd news: Why Jose Mourinho WILL be on the touchline for...