Labour calls for Scottish Parliament VAT powers
LABOUR is calling for all the cash raised from VAT in Scotland to be assigned to Holyrood, giving MSPs even greater financial power.
Shadow Scottish secretary Ian Murray said the change would increase the Scottish Parliament’s spending power by £5 billion.
The Scotland Bill, which is currently going through Westminster, proposes assigning some of the money raised from VAT in Scotland to Holyrood.
But Labour have put forward an amendment calling for all the money raised from the levy in Scotland to be assigned to the government there.
Mr Murray said: “Labour is the party of devolution. It... read more
- 09:33 Kettering mental health charity handed a £3,000 boost
- 09:32 Saudi Arabian women celebrate as driving ban lifted
- 09:26 History society book launched at Southfield House
- 09:25 Private schools shun GCSEs and A-levels
- 09:20 Manchester United signing Fred scores wonder goal in Brazil training
- 09:20 Why do footballers spit?
- 09:19 Saviour and sultan, ally and foe – west in a bind over Erdoğan
- 09:19 Born out of brutality, South Sudan, the world’s youngest state,...
- 09:18 Huge fire in Birmingham: 75 firefighters called to severe blaze in...
- 09:17 Lincolnshire’s fire stations to host blood donation sessions
- 09:16 Harborough Bake Off star to appear at feast for food lovers!
- 09:15 Manchester’s been crowned ‘the world’s wildest city’
- 09:15 Ladies, let this woman teach you to ‘shoot your shot’
- 09:14 Three arrested over stabbing of boy, 15, at birthday party
- 09:11 Uttoxeter commuters promised more rush-hour trains in rail shake-up
- 09:08 Latest news from Berwick Civic Society
- 09:06 Can you solve it? Are you smarter than a maths jammer?
- 09:04 Saudi women in the driver’s seat as ban finally ends
- 09:04 Happy faces at St John’s Priory School’s Race for Life
- 09:03 "Encouraging others to support the town of Halifax "
- 09:01 'I didn't want to be 50 and fat!' - Burton mum kicked her snacking...
- 08:59 MSPs suggest text alerts could be sent to remind accused to show up...
- 08:58 Road in Eastwood closed over concerns for man’s safety
- 08:57 Ant McPartlin's ex-wife Lisa Armstrong threw his new lover out the...
- 08:57 Brigitte Nielson welcomes baby girl after giving birth at 54
- 08:51 Aston Villa linked with World Cup star - reports
- 08:50 Firefighters investigate as blaze in Trevor Street, Hull, sends...
- 08:43 Asking people what they do for a living is insulting
- 08:43 Zsa Zsa, the English bulldog, named the World’s Ugliest Dog
- 08:42 World Cup 2018: Eden Hazard and Romelu Lukaku injury doubts for...