Labour attacks Northumbrian Water's £108m payment to shareholders
Northumbrian Water has come under fire from the Labour Party for paying out £108 million to shareholders last year.
It was one of six water companies attacked for paying out more in dividends than it made in profits.
Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell said: “These figures reveal that our water system is broken. It is a national scandal that since 2010 these companies have paid out billions to their shareholders, almost all their profits, whilst receiving more in tax credits than they paid in tax.”
Labour is highlighting its plans to re-nationalise key industries including water and energy... read more
- 04:56 Wall Street millionaire scoops top prizes at World Pipe Band Champs...
- 04:56 Demi Lovato painkiller warning as drug deaths linked to...
- 04:41 Turnbull sets out power price fix to stay ahead of Coalition rebellion
- 04:36 'Free Walkers crisps' scam circulating on WhatsApp - here's what to...
- 04:06 Leicestershire Police officer who sexually abused teenage girl to...
- 03:40 Victorian Labor offers half-priced solar panels for homeowners in...
- 03:22 A lost rivalry returns: Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic chase...
- 03:12 Brexit: Government to publish no-deal advice on Thursday
- 02:18 US-Turkey row: Pastor a 'pawn in personal feud'
- 02:18 Ecuador tightens entry rules for Venezuelan migrants
- 01:54 Child passive smoking 'increases chronic lung risk'
- 01:48 Aston Villa's Marc Albrighton keeps feet on ground in hometown...
- 01:30 Former Louth & Horncastle MP, Sir Peter Tapsell, dies aged 88
- 01:06 Resilient travel agents fight back against Airbnb
- 00:59 Observer killer sudoku
- 00:59 Observer sudoku
- 00:57 Video: Crowd waits for Paloma at Rasen racecourse
- 00:57 Former Louth & Horncastle MP, Sir Peter Tapsell, dies aged 88
- 00:54 How quinoa is changing farmers' lives in Peru
- 00:52 Former Louth & Horncastle MP, Sir Peter Tapsell, dies aged 88
- 00:50 West Yorkshire Police makes £1.8m selling uninsured cars: Porsches,...
- 00:50 Vintage bikes theft anguish
- 00:50 Middlesex v Yorkshire: As it happened
- 00:48 Join the latest craze as zero-alcohol spirits are taking Britain's...
- 00:48 The A-word: Bonnie Estridge has Alzheimer's... but life goes on
- 00:43 Yemi Osinbajo: Why Nigeria's favourite leader won't become...
- 00:40 Video: Crowd waits for Paloma at Rasen racecourse
- 00:40 Former Louth & Horncastle MP, Sir Peter Tapsell, dies aged 88
- 00:39 Obituary: Bui Tin, the reporter who changed his country's fate
- 00:36 Idris Elba: ‘My ambition is boundless’