Knife amnesty launched in Leicestershire in bid to get deadly weapons off streets
A knife amnesty has been launched today to enable people to safely dispose of blades and other potentially dangerous weapons.
The scheme, which began at three police stations, is part of Operation Sceptre, the Home Office’s national week of action against knife crime.
The bins will be located in the front inquiry offices at stations in Wigston, Spinney Hills and the city centre.
Almost 200 knives, including machetes, Samurai swords and meat cleavers were handed to police during a four-week amnesty in 2016.
The campaign was launched as the latest figures from the Home Office showed serious... read more
- 16:23 This is when the sun is set to make a return to Sheffield
- 16:23 Tributes to Ironville veteran
- 16:22 Lucy Bronze in the running for goal of the season
- 16:21 Extreme weather no obstacle on Northamptonshire doctor's...
- 16:20 Ex-teacher accused in Australia deemed fit for Israel extradition...
- 16:20 Pop-up ping pong parlour opens at Dalton Park
- 16:20 Tributes to Ironville veteran
- 16:20 Staff at Northamptonshire care home go 'extra mile' as CQC rates it...
- 16:19 Mixing booze with energy drinks can make you more violent and less...
- 16:18 Extreme temperatures 'especially likely for next four years'
- 16:17 Dispute over Chorley councillor's campaign to move Eccleston's war...
- 16:17 Drink-driver 'unfortunate' to be before the courts
- 16:17 Cricket club hit for six by huge water bill following mystery leak
- 16:16 Police search for missing 14-year-old Long Marton boy
- 16:15 Interview: 300-year-old The Beggar’s Opera as relevant as ever
- 16:15 Swedish prime minister asks ‘what the f*** are you doing’ after...
- 16:14 Special day for ton-up McLean
- 16:14 Liverpool news: Chris Sutton says new signing can lead Reds to...
- 16:14 Roadworks latest: Where to expect delays on Wednesday, August 15,...
- 16:14 Copyright row as charity and artist see red over poppies on...
- 16:13 Cricket club hit for six by huge water bill following mystery leak
- 16:13 Firefighters tackle skip blaze in Barrow
- 16:11 Babies in prams 'exposed to more pollution'
- 16:10 Mo Salah mobile phone autograph hunter speaks out after online...
- 16:10 Glasgow School of Art fire security cordon 'could be reduced in two...
- 16:09 Tyson Fury aims barb at Deontay Wilder in buildup to Francesco...
- 16:09 Not guilty, but Ben Stokes faces a battle to restore his reputation
- 16:09 Police update on woman found injured on Cleethorpes beach
- 16:09 Corby road headache will end tomorrow
- 16:08 Here is what to expect from the next episode of Channel 4's Ackley...