Karen Bradley says Northern Ireland abortion law should not be imposed
Westminster should not "impose its will" on Northern Ireland by changing abortion laws, the government says.
Northern Ireland Secretary Karen Bradley said she would personally like the law to be changed.
But she said the matter was devolved and "should be decided by the people of Northern Ireland".
She was responding to cross-party calls for a change in the law that criminalises abortion in Northern Ireland.
In the House of Commons, both sides set out their case in an often emotional debate, with Democratic Unionist MPs saying it should be left to politicians in Northern... read more
- 14:30 Here's how long the heatwave will last in the South of England
- 14:30 Adorable Oystercatcher chick rescued from 6ft deep Yorkshire drain
- 14:30 Open garden event at stunning Ribble Valley home
- 14:29 Expect the unexpected!: Pendle road safety group's awareness event...
- 14:29 The Real Schools Guide: Search for your secondary school
- 14:29 Concern for man who has gone missing while visiting Leicester
- 14:29 Can you get out of the car if you're stuck in a motorway jam? The...
- 14:29 Here's how long the heatwave will last in the South of England
- 14:28 Wave of support for conservation
- 14:28 Man to face trial over Roker Avenue rape allegation
- 14:28 Romance fraud victim from Derbyshire 'considered committing suicide'
- 14:27 Leeds mum accused of allowing son to ‘rot to death’ tells jury: ‘I...
- 14:27 Romance fraud victim from Derbyshire 'considered committing suicide'
- 14:27 Ice cream doesn’t actually cool you down (so here’s what to do in...
- 14:27 Donald Trump blasts restaurant that booted out his press secretary
- 14:26 Mud and rain are part of festival season – sexual harassment and...
- 14:26 Soap stars scouted out to be skills ambassadors
- 14:26 Harley-Davidson to shift some production out of US over EU tariffs
- 14:26 Oil firm headed by Tory donor refused to pay £14m consultancy bill
- 14:25 Drunk who threatened to chop off teenager’s fingers with meat...
- 14:25 Friars Square has the best shopping centre security team in the...
- 14:24 Male students in England and Wales more likely to kill themselves
- 14:24 Romance fraud victim from Derbyshire 'considered committing suicide'
- 14:23 Barcelona transfer news: Antoine Griezmann snub theory discussed by...
- 14:23 Anger over alleged bus fare increases across Sheffield
- 14:23 How hot does it have to be before you can legally leave work?
- 14:22 Romance fraud victim from Derbyshire 'considered committing suicide'
- 14:22 HS2 protestor locks minister in Kenilworth farm during 'green...
- 14:22 Open garden event at stunning Ribble Valley home
- 14:21 Why Gavin Williamson is blackmailing Theresa May with a £20bn threat