Judge in Margaret Fleming 'murder' trial blasts prison staff after accused left without wheelchair
A judge yesterday blasted a decision by prison authorities to leave the man accused of murdering missing Margaret Fleming without a wheelchair.
The trial of Edward Cairney, 77, and co-accused Avril jones, 58, collapsed on Thursday and he was due to apply for bail yesterday.
Instead, Cairney sat in a G4S van in the court car park after Greenock Prison removed the wheelchair he had been using throughout the trial.
Lord Matthews said: “I’m staggered that the Scottish Prison Service think it appropriate to remove the wheelchair Mr Cairney has been using all this time. I want an explanation.”... read more
- 16:19 Revealed: Aston Villa star in contract stand-off after Leeds United...
- 16:19 The Manchester United transfer news that all Aston Villa fans have...
- 16:19 Working relationship between officers and councillors no longer...
- 16:19 Seven new trees find a home on Northampton park with help of...
- 16:19 Mother burnt her two toddlers with cigars then claimed they’d been...
- 16:19 Illegal cigarette raid shop has licence stubbed out in Wolverhampton
- 16:19 The insect apocalypse is upon us as research shows dramatic species...
- 16:19 This is what West Bromwich Albion think of Birmingham City
- 16:19 First police withdrew from scene where three died at St Patrick’s...
- 16:19 Rare original royal charter dating back 819 years discovered
- 16:18 Trump expands global gag rule that blocks US aid for abortion groups
- 16:18 Wanted: 15 people police urgently want to speak to in Wakefield
- 16:17 This is why part of the A444 will be closed from tomorrow
- 16:17 Brits to bask in scorching April heatwave
- 16:17 Dakota fly-past lined up for Mansfield Armed Forces Day
- 16:17 The pictures Liverpool fans DIDN'T want to see ahead of title...
- 16:16 Road closure at South Shields seafront to last until end of week
- 16:16 Major burst water main causing disruption in Rotherham
- 16:16 RFU opposes Nations Championship owing to ‘catastrophic’ relegation...
- 16:16 Did the Channel 5 show 'Britain's Favourite Crisps' get it right?
- 16:15 Parkfield School teachers 'shaking, losing weight and stressed'...
- 16:15 Tory MP Christopher Chope says knife crime victims can avoid being...
- 16:14 Scientists issue crops warning over long-term pollinator losses
- 16:14 Fifty strong choir entertains Padiham audience at church venue
- 16:13 Firecrews called to Hartlepool house blaze in early hours of morning
- 16:12 British food festival to return to Harewood
- 16:11 Ground broken for £10 million technology centre in Leamington
- 16:11 Brits to bask in scorching April heatwave
- 16:11 British food festival to return to Harewood
- 16:10 Major burst water main causing disruption in Rotherham