Jet lag could increase your risk of cancer because our body clocks are controlled by the same mechanism that causes tumours, study finds
Jet lag could increase your risk of cancer, new research suggests.
The same protein that controls cell multiplication also influences people's internal body clocks, a study found.
Lead author Dr Angela Relógio from the Charité-Medical University in Berlin, said: 'Based on our results, it seems to us that the clock is likely to act as a tumour suppressor.
'One cannot stop wondering whether disrupted circadian timing should be included as a next potential hallmark of cancer.'
Our internal clock is in sync with external light and dark cues, and prompts people's behaviour and activity... read more
- 03:52 Sharp Objects recap: season one, episode two – Dirt
- 03:38 Trump-Putin summit: US leader cautious ahead of Helsinki talks
- 03:25 Italy allows migrants to land in Sicily
- 03:25 Casino project will offer Japan's addicts a new way to lose
- 03:24 Chelsea board send message to Eden Hazard over Real Madrid transfer
- 02:51 Labor MP Michael Danby's preselection meeting undemocratic,...
- 02:51 Valentine's day of reckoning
- 02:51 Giro Rosa won by Australian team Mitchelton-Scott
- 02:51 N’Golo Kante’s reaction is superb as France players sing his name...
- 02:51 Nicaragua troops raid towns in south
- 02:51 Top 10 Burton restaurants according to TripAdvisor
- 02:14 Gillespie Macandrew hails year of growth
- 02:14 Hulk Hogan ‘hugged and cheered’ by wrestlers following WWE return...
- 02:14 Comment: Attracting leaders will put Scotland on the world stage
- 02:08 'Lost' Gustav Holst score returned to UK after 100 years
- 02:03 UK will lose track of many EU migrants after Brexit - report
- 01:47 Jaguar kills eight other animals after escaping from zoo enclosure
- 01:46 Military spouses set up skills base in Fife
- 01:27 Plan for multi-million pound transformation of Garth Lane site into...
- 01:27 The Yankee Candle shoplifter who was knocked down as she fled...
- 01:14 CCTV reveals explosive device thrown at home of Gerry Adams
- 01:04 Margaret Fulton's Basque chicken recipe
- 00:54 North Korea to resume search for US military remains
- 00:47 Trump-Putin summit: Why is it a big deal?
- 00:47 Higher Sunday roadworks speed limit tested
- 00:46 Female workers to earn £74k less than male peers, research reveals
- 00:32 Missing Marian Turton found safe and well after huge police search
- 00:27 Sudoku 4113 easy
- 00:27 Russia must ‘account for role’ in shooting down MH17, says G7
- 00:27 Justine Greening shows support for second Brexit referendum