Jermain Defoe entered record books at Bournemouth but 15 years to the day since his landmark goal he's out to pick off the Cherries with Sunderland
It was 15 years ago that a rookie teenage striker entered the record books with what would prove a typically instinctive finish.
Jermain Defoe – then an 18-year-old loanee in the colours of Division Two Bournemouth – had captured the imagination of football fans across the land as he attempted to extend his scoring run to 10 league matches on a wet and windy Tuesday night at Cambridge United’s Abbey Stadium.
With the Cherries down to 10 men and the game goalless after an hour, the odds were against the West Ham boy - dubbed ‘The next Ian Wright’ - equalling a post-war record.
But then, in... read more
- 08:04 Woman's terror as 'wild animal' boy says he will 'smoke her dead...
- 08:04 What does the weather have in store for South Tyneside today?
- 08:04 Collision closes one lane of A38 near Derby
- 08:03 Jorge Masvidal reveals what he told Darren Till after knocking him...
- 08:03 Virgil van Dijk sends message to Liverpool teammate Mohamed Salah...
- 08:02 Disney's Frozen musical will reopen London's Theatre Royal Drury...
- 08:01 MP says no jobs will go as Interserve building A63 footbridge in...
- 08:00 Here's where roadworks are taking place in Calderdale this week
- 08:00 Brexit appeal to Guy Fawkes raises smile in Warwickshire village
- 08:00 Collision closes one lane of A38 near Derby
- 08:00 Concerns for safety of missing Halifax man
- 07:59 Woman with cancer stays positive by cosplaying as pop culture icons
- 07:58 Chelsea takeover: will Britain’s richest man buy the Blues?
- 07:58 Coalition launches elder abuse crackdown and new national hotline
- 07:57 Moment paedo-hunting cops catch pervert with 54,000 pictures of...
- 07:57 Petition to unseat lying MP Fiona Onasanya jailed for speeding offence
- 07:57 Jeremy Corbyn ‘ready to stand down’ because he is ‘tired and fed up’
- 07:57 Here's where roadworks are taking place in Calderdale this week
- 07:56 Here's where roadworks are taking place in Calderdale this week
- 07:56 Fears for 12-year-old missing for two days
- 07:54 easyJet launches FOUR new summer routes from Manchester Airport
- 07:54 Collision closes one lane of A38 near Derby
- 07:52 'Huge rail hub near Hinckley will have negative impact', Blaby...
- 07:52 Calls for 20mph limit to tackle speeding issue in Ellington
- 07:51 Collision closes one lane of A38 near Derby
- 07:49 Ronnie O’Sullivan makes major Roger Federer claim as he discusses...
- 07:49 Sunderland’s Emily hopes to be hailed a tourism superstar for her...
- 07:49 Police re-open Sheffield street but cordon remains in place where...
- 07:49 How cheeky card lets Sunderland AFC fans say sorry for spending...
- 07:49 Emergency services called to Sunderland's Wearmouth Bridge