Jean Grayston, singer
Jean Grayston, who has died at 91, was a famed contralto singer who spent her summers performing in Scarborough and who married the violinist and bandleader Max Jaffa, remembered fondly for his leadership in the 1950s of radio’s Palm Court Orchestra.
She and he met at a concert in Portsmouth in 1956 at which they were both performing, and Ms Grayston would go on to summer seasons as a soloist, first in the musical King’s Rhapsody at the Open Air Theatre and then at the Scarborough Spa with her husband.
Sparks had flown between the two of them instantly, their daughter, Lisa Gershon, said.... read more
- 08:13 The comedian who really doesn't want to die on stage
- 08:13 UK investigates WW2 shipwreck looting claims
- 08:12 Speed cameras in Leeds from August 20
- 08:11 Lee Kenny: How to market your business on a budget
- 08:10 'People no longer go into antiques shops'
- 08:03 11 of the best jobs available in Hull right now
- 08:02 Fresh calls for safety improvements on A66 after another fatal crash
- 08:02 450 respond to MP's survey about car parking
- 08:02 Author Sallie Morris has been read by millions!
- 07:54 Live updates as Sutton Fields incident causes 'large amounts of smoke'
- 07:39 Carlisle's flood-hit Newman School: have your say on plans for new...
- 07:37 Anti terrorism measures taken outside RSC
- 07:35 Barrow man accused of three counts of fraud
- 07:35 Fresh calls for safety improvements on A66 after another fatal crash
- 07:17 Bride-to-be jailed for blaming SISTER for smashing into parked car...
- 07:17 Man Utd news: Alexis Sanchez reveals why summer signing is an...
- 07:16 Try guy Fish making a splash during Saints' pre-season campaign
- 07:09 Why is Donald Trump attacking the US intelligence community?
- 07:09 How not to let the bedbugs bite as summer plague hits British cities
- 07:09 Lombok: magnitude-6.3 earthquake rocks Indonesian island
- 06:58 A quick note to say… thanks to the teacher who nurtured me
- 06:54 I was scared of losing my sight… then writing brought me clarity
- 06:47 Lombok earthquake: Strong tremor shakes Indonesian island
- 06:41 Sunday's best TV: Eight Go Rallying – Road to Saigon; Unforgotten
- 06:36 Daventry runners battle heat in 24-hour relay race
- 06:34 The number of people who complained about Birmingham City Council...
- 06:34 Birmingham's ghost town - how a once thriving shopping centre was...
- 06:34 Why this Kings Heath road has become one of the coolest in Birmingham
- 06:34 Channel 4 documentary Inside Alton Towers to reveal behind the...
- 06:34 Grim story of Birmingham’s only street hanging revealed and the...