Jacinda Ardern freezes New Zealand MPs' pay to tackle rich-poor divide
Jacinda Ardern has frozen the salaries of New Zealand’s MPs, saying the pay rises were out of step with the wider workforce and were adding to the rich-poor divide.
The radical move has cross-party support from Ardern’s coalition partners, as well as the opposition National party.
MPs’ salaries and allowances would be frozen till July 2019, Ardern said, while “a fairer formula for future pay increases” is developed for those in politics, who earn between NZ$163,000 ($108,000) to more than NZ$450,000 ($300,000).
Ardern said the freeze was “the right thing to do” and was not about... read more
- 17:13 Santa's grotto to launch at St George's Shopping Centre in Preston
- 17:13 Band who travelled 400 miles to play to just four people at...
- 17:12 Sark's electricity provider threatens to cut power to island
- 17:12 Leeds United: Food for thought for Bielsa during international break
- 17:12 Sam Curran sensed Sri Lanka ‘panic’ during England rescue act
- 17:10 Two vehicle smash causes rush hour delays on A1(M)
- 17:10 Ominous Australia relocate mojo at Women's World T20
- 17:10 Man Utd news: Key star SLAMMED - ‘He deserves more criticism than...
- 17:10 F1 finally admits concern over woman jailed for Bahrain Grand Prix...
- 17:09 Glasgow Christmas Lights 2018: When will they be switched on and...
- 17:09 Secrets of early Aberdonians to be revealed by city skeletons
- 17:09 89 year-old scholar who fled Nazis killed by shove from...
- 17:09 Kind-hearted volunteers rally round to help the homeless in Ilkeston
- 17:08 Santa's grotto to launch at St George's Shopping Centre in Preston
- 17:07 Buckingham holds moving Remembrance Day events
- 17:06 Calling North Kirklees business owners! We want to tell your story!
- 17:04 BINNED: Kingdom litter squad are KICKED OUT of Liverpool for good
- 17:04 Ex-UBS trader Kweku Adoboli being deported
- 17:03 Attempted child abductions: Police speaking to three men
- 17:03 STRICTLY IN BLACKPOOL: Iconic show heads to the Pleasure Beach
- 17:02 Men ‘doused supermarket in petrol before setting it alight in...
- 17:02 WhatsApp’s next update could change the way you ask people out on...
- 17:02 Lisa takes Nepal cycle challenge
- 17:01 Man Utd news: Gary Neville slams £50m signing: ‘Does he change a...
- 17:01 Skegness butchers are a ‘cut above’ the rest after winning UK...
- 16:58 How to flip a coin if you don't have a coin
- 16:56 Liverpool news: Virgil van Dijk makes transfer promise amid...
- 16:55 Critically acclaimed MGMT prepare to play Leeds show
- 16:56 Rail strike - here is how and when you can travel this weekend
- 16:55 Liversedge suffer County Cup exit