IVF cuts the risk of birth defects for mothers over 40: Chance of a major abnormality is less than half then for those conceived naturally
Women aged 40 or over are less likely to have babies with birth defects if they conceive by IVF, a study has found.
The risk of defects such as Down’s syndrome and cerebral palsy is greater when would-be mothers pass 40.
But research suggests IVF children born to these women have less than half the risk of major birth abnormalities than those conceived naturally.
The findings also showed they had fewer birth defects than the children of mothers aged under 29.
The authors said this ‘implies that a previously undescribed protective mechanism is in action, the details of which we can only... read more
- 05:25 Trial of doctor, 85, puts Spain in dock over ‘stolen babies’
- 05:25 Toronto pay-what-you-can store aims to tackle landfills and hunger
- 05:25 London still the most desirable city for overseas workers
- 05:16 Where to celebrate National Heritage Day in Burton, Uttoxeter,...
- 05:08 The golden rule
- 05:04 Here's how your charity can get a free website designed by 77...
- 04:54 Co-op Funeralcare undertakers' fury over huge pay cut or redundancy...
- 04:54 Golfer bags hole-in-one while completing gruelling 10 rounds in one...
- 04:54 Scot stunned after pal flies 4000 miles to tell him 'you're it' in...
- 04:54 'Limbs in the loch' monster William Beggs must die in jail says...
- 04:54 Roadchef workers hope 20-year battle over unpaid millions will...
- 04:54 Family honour 92-year-old D-Day survivor after fatal motorbike crash
- 04:54 'It bit and tore into my arm' Postman tells of terrifying ordeal as...
- 04:50 English bulldog Zsa Zsa scoops World's Ugliest Dog top prize
- 04:40 Prince William continues Middle East tour
- 04:20 Stormy Daniels 'to meet prosecutors on Michael Cohen case'
- 04:14 Doctor on trial over Spain 'stolen babies' scandal
- 04:14 The Indian actresses caught in a US 'prostitution' racket
- 04:14 Burning Cameroon: Images you're not meant to see
- 03:56 Big Partnership in bumper bonus pay-out
- 03:53 Donald Hall, US poet laureate and prize-winning man of letters,...
- 03:53 Roseanne Barr apologises in teary interview: 'I've made myself a...
- 03:47 Hollywood film wants YOU to star alongside Margot Robbie and get paid
- 03:08 NSW display class, style and flamboyance in State of Origin win
- 03:07 What’s in a wink? Lessons from Clinton, Corbyn and Rihanna
- 02:41 'I trusted my daughter's abuser with my life'
- 02:41 Scottish trade delegation heads to Berlin
- 02:41 Questions over Swansea Bay tidal lagoon decision delay
- 02:36 'New Zealand wants you': the problem with tech at the edge of the...
- 02:22 'Shakespeare would recognise this theatre... except the scaffolding'