Italy’s Renzi REFUSES to quit despite party only winning 12 PER CENT of regional vote
Sicily’s regional election returned a victory for Silvo Berlusconi’s candidate, Nello Musumeci, after confidence in Mr Renzi’s Democratic Party (PD) plummeted to 12 per cent.
And in the Roman suburb of Ostia, victory for the anti-Europe Five-Star Movement (M5S) appeared most likely.
Sicily’s vote was seen as a bell weather for next year’s national election.
But despite the defeats, Mr Renzi, who quit as prime minister last year after losing a referendum on constitutional reform, insists he is here to stay.
He said: “They have been trying to put me on the sidelines for months, but they will... read more
- 17:17 Here's why super-fast internet could reach 'nearly every building...
- 17:17 EU wants 'full picture' on Amazon data use
- 17:15 Champion of Cockermouth celebrated at her funeral
- 17:15 Hindley pub murder investigation: Man arrested after turning...
- 17:14 Family of murdered schoolgirl, 10, launch campaign to keep killer...
- 17:14 PICTURES: Wakefield welcomes the Rifles Regiment with pride
- 17:12 Boss Austin demands Cobblers players ‘fight for the badge’ on the...
- 17:12 Police release CCTV images after burglars steal jewellery from home
- 17:12 High winds cause fire to spread at farm in South Croxton
- 17:11 Foreign Office warns dual nationals not to go to Iran
- 17:11 Ingoldmells head teacher who has become ‘a legend’ celebrates 100th...
- 17:09 DNA spray to help tag offenders to their crimes in police trial
- 17:09 Crack addict handbag thief seen acting weird behind a tree wrestles...
- 17:09 Harsh winter cost Solihull half-a-million pounds, figures reveal
- 17:08 Calderdale extends response deadline for draft Local Plan to noon...
- 17:07 What we know so far about the tragic death at Russells Circus
- 17:07 Fallen trees brought down by Storm Ali's strong winds cause traffic...
- 17:06 Mustafa Badreddine Street sparks outrage in Lebanon
- 17:06 Faces of SIX men in pub car park brawl where starter pistol was fired
- 17:06 Cockermouth Round Table to hold fundraising duck race
- 17:06 Planners take crunch vote on Workington Travelodge project
- 17:05 Internet ‘double edged sword’ for mental health says Hartlepool...
- 17:04 Theresa May told Brexit plans must be ‘reworked’ as time runs out
- 17:02 CSIC partners with SFHA to innovative social housing sector
- 17:02 Drugged-up driver who killed grandad blamed crash victim's son
- 17:02 Transgender student, 20, dies after overdosing on caffeine tablets
- 17:01 Concerns raised as workmen leave large hole on Dearham estate road
- 17:01 Dog owners and pets invited on countryside walk in aid of Dogs for...
- 17:01 Report into rail timetable chaos set to claim ‘no leadership’ in...
- 17:00 Denise Mueller-Korenek: Cycling world land speed record broken