Italian election: EU refuses to punish Italy on major issues in fear of fuelling Right
The EU has let Italy escape with far more than other countries ahead of the March election as it fears it could cause more people to vote for the eurosceptic parties such as the Five Star Movement and the Northern League.
Brussels is worried any rise in populist parties could jeopardise the stability of the bloc, especially from Italy, a founding member and the third largest economy in the eurozone.
Euroscepticism has grown in recent years in reaction to the migrant crisis and austerity policies imposed by Brussels.
It has meant the two main issues forming candidates’ political campaigns... read more
- 14:08 Greg Wright: The banks must take a long, hard look in the mirror
- 14:08 Tyson Fury's video message ahead of Carlisle visit
- 14:06 Super Typhoon Trami ‘looks like someone’s pulled the plug on Earth’
- 14:06 This is why Sheffield’s very first Mud Madness event for Bluebell...
- 14:05 Downgrading risk of Westminster attacker ‘a sound decision’, says...
- 14:05 Sutton mum smashed ex’s windscreen with claw hammer
- 14:05 Jail for Mansfield boozer who assaulted girlfriend and knocked out...
- 14:04 Jeremy Corbyn tells Labour: 'Get ready for government within a year'
- 14:04 "County Line" drug dealers and runners get a total of 200 years in...
- 14:02 Lifesavers get training with new kit at Wellingborough Cricket Club
- 14:02 Win shopping vouchers by taking part in survey by Corby Council
- 14:02 Drink driver crashed in Worksop
- 14:01 AkzoNobel marks first anniversary
- 14:01 Council chiefs defend mayor’s £34,000 catering bill
- 14:00 Labour conference urges Government to back Jaguar Land Rover...
- 14:00 Nightclub blocked from hosting student party in Birmingham
- 14:00 HGVs motorway joyriding claim is 'absurd'
- 14:00 Labour bid to take control of Dudley Council slammed as 'grubby'
- 14:00 Future for new Birmingham railway stations revealed in new images
- 13:59 Aston Villa fans accused of throwing punches and bottles in pub brawl
- 13:59 Sutton mum smashed ex’s windscreen with claw hammer
- 13:59 Jail for Mansfield boozer who assaulted girlfriend and knocked out...
- 13:58 What happened when I attended my first bipolar support group meeting
- 13:58 Man, 80, on a mission to stop cyclists riding in pedestrian area of...
- 13:58 Sutton mum smashed ex’s windscreen with claw hammer
- 13:58 Asda, Morrisons and Sainsbury’s cut petrol prices
- 13:58 Jail for Mansfield boozer who assaulted girlfriend and knocked out...
- 13:55 A59 at Kex Gill: Repair dates unveiled for troubled route into...
- 13:55 Far-right group 'planning to march in Liverpool' - and are told...
- 13:54 Smiling prisoner with distinctive tattoo escapes from a Derbyshire...