Islamic State 'Beatles' duo: UK 'will not block death penalty'
The UK will not block the death penalty in the case of two men accused of being Islamic State members, a leaked letter from the home secretary has said.
In the letter to the US attorney general, obtained by the Daily Telegraph, Sajid Javid said the UK would not ask for "assurances" over Alexanda Kotey and El Shafee Elsheikh.
The duo, from west London, were captured in Syria in January.
The BBC's Frank Gardner said he had confirmation of the UK's stance.
Our security correspondent added that the UK still had a "long-standing opposition" to the controversial US military... read more
- 13:25 Man arrested after woman 'raped and left in front garden'
- 13:24 Prisoner with ‘thug’ tattoo absconds from Derbyshire jail
- 13:24 Serious concerns over threat to public open space in Solihull
- 13:23 YP Letters: Give young a vote so they can have say in One Yorkshire
- 13:23 Prisoner with ‘thug’ tattoo absconds from Derbyshire jail
- 13:23 YP Letters: UK does not need EU to rebuild itself
- 13:23 Feature: Which butterfly came out on top in the big count?
- 13:23 Sainsbury’s to start selling own brand sex toys from £8
- 13:22 When do clocks go back in 2018 and why do we change them
- 13:22 Premier League transfer news: Leonardo Bonucci, Mauro Icardi,...
- 13:22 Supermarket meat thief attacked security guard
- 13:20 Incredible pictures showing British Army’s power and...
- 13:20 Saints suffer big Mallinder injury blow
- 13:19 Salmonella warning over pink meat
- 13:19 Wellingborough man pleads guilty to biting one-year-old boy
- 13:19 Can you help to find the 80-something-year-old couple that this...
- 13:18 Wellingborough man pleads guilty to biting one-year-old boy
- 13:16 Interview: The Lecht’s James McIntosh looks forward to a winter of...
- 13:16 'We deserve the best possible care today' - Lancashire woman damns...
- 13:15 Prisoner with ‘thug’ tattoo absconds from Derbyshire jail
- 13:14 Prisoner with ‘thug’ tattoo absconds from Derbyshire jail
- 13:13 Harry and Meghan: Duke sips kava drink as royals land in Fiji
- 13:13 A bins problem that's the weight of 250 hippos in Birmingham -...
- 13:13 YP Letters: John Bercow’s words go with territory in Commons
- 13:13 Salmonella warning over pink meat
- 13:12 Thousands of children with Send excluded from schools
- 13:10 Arsenal news: Emery weakness revealed, Neville in Wenger claim,...
- 13:10 King of Crime: cybercrime gangster thriller to premiere at Burnley...
- 13:09 'Instagram used more than Snapchat' by US teens
- 13:06 Liverpool news: Jurgen Klopp sent fierce transfer warning ahead of...