Investigation launched after prisoner dies in custody at Walton prison
A prisoner who had recently been recalled to jail died while in custody at Walton Prison.
Authorities have confirmed Kirkby man Carl Newman’s death late last week and said an investigation had been launched.
A Prison Service spokesperson said: “ HMP Liverpool prisoner Carl Newman died in custody on Friday 6 October 2017.
“As with all deaths in custody there will be an independent investigation by the Prisons and Probation Ombudsman”.
Newman, 23, was previously on Merseyside Police’s wanted list after breaching the conditions of his licence and failing to return to custody.
He had been... read more
- 09:51 Wakefield Council leader Peter Box vows to stay on in role
- 09:51 Major route into Northampton at a standstill after bus fire
- 09:51 Ram raiders fail in bid to steal cash machine from Doncaster shop
- 09:51 Heart of Your Community 2018 - vote for your Charity Champion
- 09:51 Chris Grayling refuses to take blame for rail timetable chaos
- 09:50 Organisers of hospital protest march hoping for a huge turn out
- 09:49 What to stream and download this week
- 09:49 Rugby mayor encourages residents to sign pledge to improve their...
- 09:48 SIX miles of delays as police race to crash on A1 near Stamford
- 09:47 Dutch rail crash: Four children killed on cargo bike
- 09:47 Manchester United star Paul Pogba explains his bizarre...
- 09:46 James Bond: Carey Fukunaga to direct next James Bond film
- 09:46 Raise a glass to the 12th beer festival
- 09:45 Chris Evans' wife has given birth to twins
- 09:45 Blackpool weather forecast: Warnings in place as heavy rain and...
- 09:45 MP urges no VISA for ‘anti gay’ preacher
- 09:45 Drug-troubled thief who struck at Wilko’s is spared from jail
- 09:44 Rugby fan died from being hit by multiple cars after falling out of...
- 09:43 Birch Vale couple celebrate 60 years of marriage
- 09:43 Do I need special insurance for my listed home? Ask the experts
- 09:42 Another Donington Decider as Adam aims for history-making third...
- 09:42 Fringe players will have to keep their focus at St Johnstone
- 09:42 Jack Black and Cate Blanchett talk The House With A Clock In Its...
- 09:42 New scheme for East Coast where paramedics will help with patients...
- 09:41 Drug-troubled thief who struck at Wilko’s is spared from jail
- 09:41 Football transfer rumours: Éver Banega for Emery reunion at Arsenal?
- 09:41 Man in his 80s seriously hurt in Swineshead crash
- 09:41 Nurse shares why she swapped toilet paper for reusable cloths
- 09:40 Arsenal transfer news: Ever Banega, Cristian Pavon, Petr Cech
- 09:40 Sturgeon calls for Brexit to be delayed