Injury hell left me inconsolable... it was a relief when I retired from football
Breaking my leg in 2007 was the beginning of a long, debilitating, dispiriting process that killed my career.
It led to the West Ham hierarchy trying to shame me, because I played so few games for the club.
I’d tell any young injured player to get the best person available to look after you.
RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 Next A booze-fuelled holiday to Ayia Napa with Rio Ferdinand and... Ashley Cole asked a million questions about Cheryl when I... A sizeable band of the England squad were gambling... I had dreamed of owning a Ferrari so I drove mine all over... Share this article Share West... read more
- 03:05 Facebook struggling to end hate speech in Myanmar, investigation finds
- 02:51 Nauru hunger strike: 12-year-old boy at imminent risk of dying
- 02:26 Signature pubs create 150 jobs after £10m investment
- 02:26 PureLiFi lights the way in O2’s 5G trials
- 02:02 New pesticides may harm bees as much as existing ones – study
- 01:50 Defying stereotypes of older age, the volunteer who is busier than...
- 01:47 #nomorewrinklyhands: The fight to banish ‘dehumanishing’ imagery of...
- 01:47 Defying stereotypes of older age, the volunteer who is busier than...
- 01:36 Defying stereotypes of older age, the volunteer who is busier than...
- 01:30 REVIEW: Fame - The Musical, Opera House, Blackpool
- 01:23 Jailed for abortion: the 15-year-old girl failed by Indonesia
- 01:18 Last place in England to offer publicly-funded homeopathy is to...
- 01:18 Men trust their doctor more if they are the same race, study finds
- 01:11 Young people 'more sceptical about value of university' – poll
- 01:05 Sudoku 4140 hard
- 01:00 Australians living longer but life expectancy dips in US and UK
- 00:58 Majority of Scottish voters feel ignored by UK ministers on Brexit
- 00:55 ‘Comfort women’: the dark history of Japan’s WWII sex slaves
- 00:55 Bitcoin price falls below £5,000 as market hits ‘panic mode’
- 00:53 REVIEW: Fame - The Musical, Opera House, Blackpool
- 00:37 Tory suspended over "Nazi" language
- 00:37 Happy Jansson signs new deal with Leeds United
- 00:20 Almost 350 news outlets to publish editorials denouncing Trump's...
- 00:18 Frampton vs Jackson: Northern Irish sporting history will be made -...
- 00:12 Picket Lines Fair Game
- 00:10 Peterloo director calls for 1819 massacre to be taught in UK schools
- 00:06 Man, 36, nearly dies after smoking four joints that triggered rare...
- 00:06 Weight gain after quitting smoking increases a person’s type 2...
- 00:05 West Midlands Police officer charged over indecent child images
- 00:01 Meghan Markle might be pregnant - if you notice this subtle sign