India arrests 70 call-center workers accused of duping U.S. citizens
Police in India said they arrested 70 call-centre workers on Wednesday on suspicion of tricking American citizens into sending them money by posing as U.S. tax officials.
A total of 772 workers were detained earlier on Wednesday in raids on nine call centres in a Mumbai suburb, a senior police official told Reuters. Seventy were placed under formal arrest, 630 were released pending questioning over the coming days, and 72 were freed without further investigation.
"The motive was earning money," said Parag Manere, a deputy commissioner of police. "They were running an illegal... read more
- 12:57 Vinnie Paul: the Pantera drummer whose mission was to have a...
- 12:57 Owner’s fury after thug shoots pet cat
- 12:56 Muharrem İnce concedes defeat to Erdoğan in Turkey elections
- 12:56 Ex-Nato chief refused visa waiver to US because of Iran trips
- 12:55 Police looking into woman’s death find 82 chihuahuas in horrifying...
- 12:55 A blistering day for bangers: Northampton’s sausage and cider...
- 12:55 Nearly 100 university students killed themselves last year - as...
- 12:54 The actors are here! Filming begins as Lincoln Cathedral becomes a...
- 12:54 Are you stuck with a frozen pension? Business owner whose pot is...
- 12:54 Behavioural science firm Mind Gym's founders to receive £50m from...
- 12:54 Carlisle thug jailed for attacking ex-girlfriend
- 12:52 YP Letters: Support for social care is desperately needed
- 12:52 YP Letters: Leaving EU is a fantastic opportunity to buy cheaper food
- 12:52 Here for the beer
- 12:52 How regeneration of Scotland's derelict houses is driving economic...
- 12:52 YP Letters: Don’t build new homeless hostel here
- 12:52 Which teams are out of the World Cup ahead of the last round of...
- 12:51 Kettering care home praised by inspectors
- 12:51 World record-breaking whale set to visit in Harrogate
- 12:51 Health advice for heatwave conditions
- 12:50 Leeds firm could be set to solve World Cup beer crisis
- 12:49 Here's how long the heatwave will last in Scotland
- 12:49 Pervert who 'robbed girl of her childhood' spared jail after...
- 12:48 World record-breaking whale set to visit in Harrogate
- 12:47 Former Sheffield man jailed for historic sex offences against girl
- 12:46 Celebrating our armed forces both past and present
- 12:46 Reunion for old Aylesbury manufacturing company
- 12:46 First-time buyers need 10 and a half years to save for a deposit
- 12:45 Steven Gerrard reveals his ONE regret about his playing career
- 12:45 "A set of cretins" - Wolves transfer saga takes bitter twist