Independence: Passion play to get Scottish twist
THE names of the characters may be instantly recognisable and there is something very familiar about the storyline.
But the open-air play to be staged in the heart of Edinburgh on Easter Saturday will be far removed from the classic story charting the last days of Christ.
The story is to be retold against the background of a nation in turmoil over a looming referendum – in an alternate reality version of modern-day Scotland where mass unrest under Herod’s weakening grip has become the norm.
But organisers insist they are making strenuous efforts to ensure Jesus is not portrayed as a... read more
- 04:01 French Muslim rapper calls off shows at Bataclan after protests
- 03:56 Everton news: Richarlison reveals how Brazli superstar Neymar...
- 03:45 'Awful abuses': US denounces China's treatment of Uighurs
- 03:41 Brexit compromise still possible, Donald Tusk says
- 03:27 The needles and the damage done: the growers hurt by Australia's...
- 03:06 Bristol venue to play Africa by Toto on loop all night
- 03:00 LINCS LEAGUE: Fixtures
- 02:56 Labour could renationalise railways in five years - McDonnell
- 02:18 Value-for-money bakery opens in former Northampton Oliver Adams shop
- 02:14 Stamp of approval for Helensburgh training firm
- 01:59 'Hezbollah treasurer' Barakat arrested in Brazil border city
- 01:52 Neil McNicholas: Only answer to health threat is no smoking at all
- 01:52 Tom Richmond: Don’t waste chance to give leaders a public grilling
- 01:47 Former welfare recipients who refuse to pay back debt face travel ban
- 01:47 Republican lawmaker ends re-election bid as daughter alleges...
- 01:24 The town that became Scotland's chilli capital
- 01:24 Premier League shirts row: The fickle fashions of sponsorship
- 01:05 Viewpoint: What India's first newspaper says about democracy
- 01:04 The night Kevin Keegan sneaked back into Newcastle in a flat cap...
- 01:02 Maniac: The new James Bond director's experimental Netflix drama
- 01:01 How do you solve catastrophic hyperinflation?
- 00:55 Man City performance disturbing but Paul Pogba absolutely brilliant...
- 00:55 Wilfried Zaha: Roy Hodgson tells star to keep talking on the pitch...
- 00:49 The Yorkshire Post says: Universal troubles. Little political...
- 00:49 David Behrens: Sheffield Council needs lessons in common sense –...
- 00:49 Patrick Mercer: Our leaders are all at sea over defence and...
- 00:30 Rihanna appointed as ambassador by Barbados
- 00:30 Ministers urged to get tough on minimum wage offenders
- 00:26 Code-cracking Bombe operation recreated at Bletchley
- 00:26 Minimum wage: Workers underpaid by record £15.6m