Imprisoned suffragette letter discovered
A previously unknown letter from the first suffragette to be jailed in the campaign for the vote has been discovered by an Oxford historian.
Written the day after Annie Kenney was released from prison in Manchester in 1905, it is being claimed as the earliest known letter from a woman involved in the militant protests.
The letter, to her sister, was found in an archive in Canada.
"We don't have anything like this before," said Lyndsey Jenkins.
The historian was researching the Kenney family when she found the previously unrecognised letter in an archive in Canada - where Annie... read more
- 12:42 The 13 obscure parking laws which could land you a massive fine
- 12:41 Biffy Clyro's Simon: guitars are 'an extension of my personality'
- 12:41 Last chance to reserve places at Wakefield’s big Christmas event
- 12:41 Galaxy cluster ‘Hyperion’ is a million, billion times bigger than...
- 12:40 Scarborough Crown Spa Hotel to host Help For Heroes dinner
- 12:37 Wayne Rooney's stunning free-kick continues DC United's remarkable...
- 12:37 Cycling group gathers pace
- 12:37 Meet the 17-year-old refugee living in Harrogate who was trafficked...
- 12:37 Temporary traffic lights set for Leeds Road as £500,000 gas works...
- 12:36 Tell us: are you taking part in the people's vote march?
- 12:35 Temporary traffic lights set for Leeds Road as £500,000 gas works...
- 12:35 Dog control notices ineffective
- 12:34 Air ambulance arrives at crash site on major Wigan road
- 12:34 Dragons v Northampton Saints: Tom Vickers' big match preview
- 12:33 Lidl staff called police on couple trying to buy gin while shopping...
- 12:33 Cycling group gathers pace
- 12:33 Temporary traffic lights set for Leeds Road as £500,000 gas works...
- 12:33 Temperatures to drop below freezing as cold weather starts to...
- 12:32 Woman becomes friends with the stranger who saved her life with CPR
- 12:32 Bar Fox: A ‘hidden gem’ Art Deco rooftop bar in Leicester Square
- 12:32 The Conners' TV audience slumps by 43% minus Rosanne
- 12:32 Pizza plans could create 60 new jobs
- 12:32 Arsenal news: Jack Wilshere issues warning to Gunners over Aaron...
- 12:31 Melton schoolchildren at Swallowdale learn about healthy eating...
- 12:31 Leicester explosion: Men appear in court accused of murder and...
- 12:30 Let’s abolish school holidays. It’ll save you feeding the children
- 12:29 North York Moors National Park backs bid to protect star quality
- 12:29 Greedy George the giraffe celebrates his birthday
- 12:29 5,000 poppies decorate Saint Mary's Church in Whitby for World War...
- 12:29 Temporary traffic lights set for Leeds Road as £500,000 gas works...