The RSC adaptation of Robert Harris’s novels about power politics in ancient Rome loses something in the transition from page to stage, says GORDON PARSONS
Imperium Parts I and II
The Swan Theatre, Stratford-upon-Avon
MIKE POULTON, adapter of Robert Harris’s trilogy of novels narrating the life of the great Roman orator Cicero, clearly recognises the problems anyone dramatising a novel has to cope with.
There’s not only often the weight of plot detail involved, he’s said, but also the demands on the linear narrative progression in theatre where, unlike in the novels, audiences... read more
- 04:01 Five arrests over death outside Walsall Manor Hospital
- 04:01 Metropolitan House plans set to be given green light
- 03:58 Kerala floods: A million in camps and thousands stranded
- 03:51 British man missing after banana boat accident in Portugal
- 03:51 Malaysia accused of 'state-sponsored homophobia' after LGBT crackdown
- 03:46 Will Donald Trump remain bulletproof?
- 03:30 Rayners Lane shooting: Two injured as shots fired at group
- 03:30 Puppy and kitten sales at pet shops set to be banned
- 03:30 Ryanair compensation cheques with no signatures 'bounced'
- 03:26 Canister explosion kills man at bonfire
- 03:26 Rubric Lois King hosts Grand Prix themed party
- 03:09 Trump attacks players for kneeling after 0.0006% of NFL does so in...
- 03:05 Malcolm Turnbull: PM loses ministers in leadership battle
- 02:54 Facebook and Twitter remove accounts linked to Russia and Iran...
- 02:51 Could Scott Morrison and Julie Bishop join the leadership race in a...
- 02:51 'Worst hour' for Trump after convictions for Manafort and Cohen
- 02:43 Ashleigh Barty to lead Australia's US Open contingent
- 02:43 Wallabies fitness questioned by All Blacks great ahead of second Test
- 02:20 Cycle of life: New Zealand MP gives birth to boy after riding to...
- 02:08 'Too pretty' Wolverhampton prison officer agrees out-of-court...
- 02:08 Big names turn out for great cricketing causes
- 02:07 Facebook pulls 652 fake accounts and pages meant to influence world...
- 01:58 New vintage shop hosts 60 Northampton-based traders all under one roof
- 01:50 Government to ban unethical puppy and kitten farms in England
- 01:47 Solat Chaudhry: Win the fight for gender equality and we will all...
- 01:47 Peter Lilley: Nothing to fear if we decide on a no-deal Brexit
- 01:47 Dilys Price: The 86-year-old parachutist turned Helmut Lang model
- 01:47 Bernard Ingham: No future for Labour unless it ditches Jeremy Corbyn
- 01:42 Legal action plan as locked out householders at Glasgow School of...
- 01:42 Thug who planted nail bomb at neighbour's home after brothel feud...