'I was proud of my dad before, now I'm even more in awe of him'
from being a little boy Harold Waters dreamed of nothing else but growing up and joining the Navy.
Originally from Gillingham in Kent, Harold was born into a naval family.
HMS Diadem had a special place in his heart as not only was she his home during a special mission - the Arctic Convoys in 1944 - which earned him several medals, she also helped the romantic meet his true love when she docked in Hartlepool on July 2, 1947.
“I knew he was for me and he knew I was for him,” said his widow Patricia, known as Pat, from Middlesbrough.
Five months later the pair, aged 21 and 20, were married on... read more
- 16:32 Grimsby weather presenter Keeley Donovan shares video and photos of...
- 16:32 Police car attacked as officers called to disturbance on Grange estate
- 16:32 Man arrested in dawn operation in connection with sex offence...
- 16:31 This is why huge plumes of smoke could be seen across Birmingham today
- 16:31 Revealed: Nine of the UK’s 10 cheapest seaside towns are in Scotland
- 16:30 Gardener and girlfriend win £3million on Lottery scratchcard
- 16:30 Why police divers were at Noddle Hill Way pond in Bransholme
- 16:29 Appeal for public to support March of Remembrance in Padiham
- 16:29 Church children Lent their help to local NHS
- 16:29 Burnley community reads entire Bible at local church event
- 16:29 Deputy director from KGH up for national women’s award
- 16:29 Teacher's touching gesture to help all girls go to prom
- 16:28 Six people arrested after fight in Mansfield town centre
- 16:28 Woman struck by traffic light in Southam
- 16:27 Man runs into Market Harborough supermarket with knife wound to his...
- 16:27 Dormer House School performs A Midsummer Night’s Dream
- 16:27 Trump repeats call to deprive undocumented migrants of due process
- 16:23 Stars on song at Northumberland Live
- 16:23 Smoking, chip pans and candles: Fires in your home could be prevented
- 16:23 London is the most desirable city for overseas workers in the world...
- 16:22 FYI chub rub doesn’t only happen to fat people
- 16:21 Pilot mental health care scheme trialled to relieve pressures on...
- 16:21 Walk, run or jog - see the amazing women who joined Doncaster’s...
- 16:20 Pilot mental health care scheme trialled to relieve pressures on...
- 16:20 The former Coventry City favourite fans are desperate to see...
- 16:20 Walney rugby music festival 'brings community together'
- 16:20 Police report 'no issues' at problem house after closure order...
- 16:19 Church children Lent their help to local NHS
- 16:18 Walk, run or jog - see the amazing women who joined Doncaster’s...
- 16:18 Confirmed: Birmingham City sign Danish defender Kristian Pedersen