I used to worry what others thought of my stoma but now I share it with the world
When I was 27 and diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, it came as a bewildering, life-changing shock when surgeons told me that a bit of my small intestine would be brought out onto my belly to allow me to pass waste into a bag.
Looking at my stoma for the first time was like seeing some kind of alien attached to my body; I knew next to nothing about ostomy bags or how to live with one.
I had also lost four stone in weight, having been physically unable to eat any food due to the ulceration in my bowel. When I came out of hospital after three weeks inside, I looked liked a skeleton and had to... read more
- 12:19 Masked burglar's photo taken by doorbell in middle of house raid
- 12:17 Masked men steal from delivery vehicle in Harrogate
- 12:17 Huge Broad Street Plaza dentist surgery plan given the go-ahead in...
- 12:16 Football star Gary McAllister 'punched outside Leeds bar'
- 12:16 Kezia Dugdale's homophobia claim about blogger's tweet 'absurd'
- 12:16 Masked men steal from delivery vehicle in Harrogate
- 12:16 Tottington High School evacuated after fire breaks out in library
- 12:14 'Large amount' of cannabis found in disused building on Retford's...
- 12:14 Feasibility of replacing trees on Scarborough's Westbourne Park is...
- 12:13 Madeleine McCann Netflix viewers convinced they've spotted clue she...
- 12:13 Watch: Video mum wants you to see of son being stabbed to death
- 12:13 Biker is 'serious but stable' after collision with signpost on A607...
- 12:11 Woman found drunk in charge of child, 7, then attacked police officer
- 12:10 Community focus: Fears ‘lifeline’ coffee morning on Sheffield...
- 12:08 Driver flees scene as 'stolen' car flips on roof after crash in...
- 12:08 £60m aquatic centre 'legacy' benefits to be discussed in Sandwell
- 12:08 Aston Villa star wades into this Birmingham City debate - and ends it
- 12:08 Facebook data fears for 400 MILLION users after passwords stored in...
- 12:08 Here's how MPs hope to take control of Brexit away from Theresa May...
- 12:08 Grab your reusable cups, the London Coffee Festival is returning
- 12:08 Bride gets married just four days after finding out she has cancer
- 12:07 These are the worst vehicle accident black spots in Mansfield
- 12:07 New plastic bottle greenhouse for Sutton school
- 12:07 Take That live to Halifax cinema from Cardiff
- 12:07 Thousands of Bucks primary school pupils Dare to Dream during...
- 12:07 Community focus: Fears ‘lifeline’ coffee morning on Sheffield...
- 12:05 Parents forced to rely on ‘baby banks’ for children’s basics under...
- 12:05 Brexiteer admits egging Jeremy Corbyn as he left mosque
- 12:05 EU says no-deal Brexit looks ‘increasingly likely’
- 12:05 Labour party's general secretary diagnosed with breast cancer