Hundreds of Universal Credit claimants in Nottinghamshire are in employment
Hundreds of workers in Nottingham are claiming Universal Credit as their low wages are not enough to live on.
Charities say that the “shocking” number of in-work applicants is due to low wages and housing costs.
According to Department for Work and Pensions figures, there were 758 employed claimants in Nottingham on Universal Credit in July 2018 - about 34% of the total.
Overall, there were 2,226 people on Universal Credit in Nottingham, 80 fewer than in the previous month.
Universal Credit is a new benefit, slowly being rolled out by the Government, which replaces six legacy benefits and... read more
- 08:32 Apprentice star opening new store in Mansfield today
- 08:29 Chelsea news: Sarri makes Morata admission, Messi and Hazard claim,...
- 08:27 Apprentice star opening new store in Mansfield today
- 08:24 Diplomats gather for UN summit – with Trump and his whims to take...
- 08:24 Build a wall across the Sahara? That's crazy – but someone still...
- 08:22 Wigan dad threatened to shoot doctors' surgery staff and patients
- 08:18 Hiking through holy history
- 08:18 Annual shoebox appeal for needy children launched in Banbury
- 08:18 Yorkshire campaigners call for review of Government's flagship...
- 08:18 The Yorkshire-born California ex-millionaire now living on...
- 08:18 Thirsk and Malton MP Kevin Hollinrake defends Universal Credit
- 08:15 Yorkshire campaigners call for review of Government's flagship...
- 08:12 Man Utd star Nemanja Matic donates £63,000 to child in need of...
- 08:10 Deadly killing rabbit virus suspected in Lincolnshire - here's what...
- 08:08 Cycling challenge bags £2.5k for charity
- 08:07 Lidl will no longer sell fruit and vegetables in unrecyclable...
- 08:07 Frank Warren: Anthony Joshua needs big knockout performance...
- 08:06 The Tayberry, Broughty Ferry (38/50)
- 08:06 Don’t let smart technology spoil the simple pleasures of cycling
- 08:06 A new era in whisky is dawning
- 08:06 Desert Island Chef: Callum Gilmour, The Saint, St Andrews
- 08:06 Chef’s Table: Martin Hollis, Old Course St Andrews
- 08:06 Food blog: Brodie Williams
- 08:06 Mary-Jane’s V&A cake is a work of art
- 08:05 Police forensic tent in place at Sheffield Centertainment
- 07:55 Police crackdown on Mamba Spice in Mansfield "seeing results"
- 07:55 Pair charged following threatening behaviour in Worksop
- 07:52 I’ll get my pension soon, but I’ll have to keep working to pay off...
- 07:52 'I had cancer – but my insurer tried to wriggle out of paying'
- 07:52 When is the best time to book a hotel room for a good deal?