Hundreds of battery hens are looking for a new home
Hundreds of hens could be saved from slaughter at an event in Newark this Saturday (August 5).
The British Hens Welfare Trust will be showing 400 ex-commercial hens at the event in South Clifton, near Newark, with half available to take home.
The hens will be slaughtered if they can’t find a new home.
They have been taken from battery farms where they have been laying eggs without daylight, open space or the opportunity to scratch for bugs and slugs since they were born.
Gaynor Davies, the charity’s head of operations, said: “There is no better feeling than watching these girls flourish... read more
- 21:51 M6 blocked near Preston after lorry hits central reservation
- 21:44 Jose Mourinho reveals setback for new Manchester United signing...
- 21:42 Nelson Mandela's 100th birthday quiz
- 21:13 Netflix and Amazon become more popular than pay-TV services
- 21:12 Asthma deaths rise 25% amid growing air pollution crisis
- 21:12 How disgraced anti-vaxxer Andrew Wakefield was embraced by Trump's...
- 21:12 Autistic people wait years for diagnosis in some parts of England
- 21:04 'Death by dowry' claim by bereaved family in India
- 21:04 Libya migrant centres near breaking point after spike in arrivals
- 21:04 Sean Black put in charge of increasing One Nation membership in...
- 21:04 Rio police poised to arrest plastic surgeon 'Dr Bumbum'
- 21:04 Notes on a scandal: why Trump loves to scrawl in marker pen
- 21:04 'I did it for freedom' – Nelson Mandela's quiet comrade
- 21:04 Man guilty of plot to behead Theresa May in Isis-inspired attack
- 21:04 Wildfires rage in Arctic Circle as Sweden calls for help
- 21:04 Libyan coastguard accused of abandoning three migrants in sea
- 21:04 Champagne and roses on first Ethiopia-Eritrea flight in two decades
- 21:04 Summit critics have Trump derangement syndrome – says Trump
- 21:04 Thai cave footballers and coach describe 'miracle' rescue
- 21:04 Illustrator Chris Riddell attacks school tests with 'Sats beasties'...
- 21:04 Why do black male graduates earn £7,000 less per year than their...
- 21:03 Watchdog reviews complaints about World Cup betting ads
- 21:03 Football transfer rumours: Chelsea want Petr Cech back from Arsenal?
- 21:03 Who has won the World Cup and European Cup in the same year?
- 21:03 A bloke in nets who can be relied upon to catch the ball
- 21:03 Premier League pre-season 2018: a full list of all the clubs’...
- 21:03 José Mourinho fears Alexis Sánchez will miss US tour after visa issue
- 21:03 Is Nascar's next Danica Patrick coming down the track?
- 21:03 Ten players whose transfer values surged at the World Cup
- 21:03 Why making pitchers bat is one of baseball's most beautiful facets