How to stop the humble hedgehog disappearing from British gardens and countryside forever
Daniel Allen, Keele University
When the humble hedgehog was crowned “Britain’s national species” in a BBC Wildlife Magazine poll and “Britain’s favourite mammal” in a Royal Society of Biology poll, no doubt, sentimentalised memories of Beatrix Potter’s The Tale of Mrs Tiggy-Winkle, played a role in swaying public opinion.
Ecologist and author Hugh Warwick explained how:
But despite their popularity, hedgehogs are now something of a rare sight in British gardens – and are in fact disappearing at the same rate as tigers worldwide. Rural hedgehogs in the UK have halved in number since 2000,... read more
- 16:15 Historic manor house on sale near Sunderland for £1.5m
- 16:13 Gainsborough student ridiculed online for wearing beret on...
- 16:13 Two men wanted after morning stabbing near Daventry industrial estate
- 16:13 Traffic warnings ahead of Kenilworth horse fair
- 16:12 Hundreds join Balsall Common fun run to support bereaved parents
- 16:12 Glendale society launches silage competition for 2018
- 16:12 Chelsea news: Gianfranco Zola claims star is RIGHT to be upset with...
- 16:11 Review: Get Well Soon is a classic Mikron Theatre production
- 16:10 Paris man jailed for three months for slapping woman's bottom
- 16:10 Nations halt funding to UN environment programme as outcry over...
- 16:10 Outraged parents and campaigners slam Poundland for selling toy...
- 16:09 Richard Leonard distances himself from Labour chairman’s ‘kill off...
- 16:09 Deaf patients see ‘massive improvement’ in medical services after...
- 16:09 Splendour Festival, Rescue Rooms and Pale Waves at Dot To Dot all...
- 16:09 HRH Princess Royal officially opens new hospital
- 16:08 Time to stop playing to the crowd and make Birmingham's air clean
- 16:07 Mobo awards to take a year off to expand scope beyond music
- 16:07 Red Rose relegated from County Championship’s top flight
- 16:07 Check out this revamped adventure park - and its just a 25 minute...
- 16:06 'It's a constant worry when I go up there': Pressure builds on...
- 16:06 No action taken against Wyre councillor after row over Facebook post
- 16:06 Hospital porter used England flag to treat unconscious man in...
- 16:06 Splendour Festival, Rescue Rooms and Pale Waves at Dot To Dot all...
- 16:06 HGVs motorway joyriding claim is 'absurd'
- 16:06 This is why Aston Villa fans don't like Bristol City boss Lee Johnson
- 16:06 Pensioner 'driven to murder-suicide' by wife of 66 years's Alzheimer’s
- 16:05 Appeal to private landlords to help house Melton’s vulnerable families
- 16:05 New Zealand’s prime minister makes history after bringing newborn...
- 16:04 Spotlighting obesity link to cancer
- 16:04 Woman with terminal cancer's urgent plea to rehome 40 cats