How to avoid food waste: top chefs on their grandparents' favourite dishes - and what they taught them
It is all too easy to romanticise the past, particularly with food. In Britain, rationing created a postwar generation that was very well-nourished, but also utterly bored by the meals it ate … or endured. Similarly, for all the criticism levelled at processed foods (“Don’t eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn’t recognise as food,” as the writer Michael Pollan famously advised), food has never been cheaper, nor easier to access and prepare. In 1957, as a proportion of their weekly income, UK households spent roughly double what they now spend on food – 33% of their money. There is a... read more
- 07:06 One step closer to new council-owned company to replace Arch
- 07:06 Legal bills for council trio facing High Court action start to rack up
- 07:06 Man Utd news: Jose Mourinho reveals Champions League group target...
- 07:06 Giving NHS staff the freedom to speak up
- 07:03 One step closer to new council-owned company to replace Arch
- 07:03 Legal bills for council trio facing High Court action start to rack up
- 07:03 Giving NHS staff the freedom to speak up
- 07:02 Hull Live: Breaking news, traffic and travel from Hull and East...
- 06:58 Niqab ban ‘violates’ human rights as UN orders compensation for...
- 06:56 Broken down train causes problems for passengers to and from Sheffield
- 06:55 Meghan Markle rushed out of market by bodyguards over ‘security risk’
- 06:55 Child rapists crimes were so horrific that a judge walked out of...
- 06:55 Experts finally work out purpose of mystery relic found under York...
- 06:55 Theresa May faces showdown with Tory MPs as Brexit worries grow
- 06:52 Middlesbrough need more quality, says Tony Pulis after four and...
- 06:50 It’s all change at the top at RAF Coningsby
- 06:41 Unsinkable idea: Australian billionaire refloats dream to build...
- 06:40 Popular pub worker needed 13 stitches and left unable to smile...
- 06:38 Thomas Blyth: Sowing the CeeD of opportunity for the Capital
- 06:38 Country diary: the magical mushroom biology of the fairy ring
- 06:38 REVEALED: These are Lancashire's top 10 vehicle crime hotspots
- 06:37 Living with cancer? There’s help at hand in Hartlepool
- 06:37 Hartlepool school’s eco warriors collect a hat-trick of awards
- 06:37 Legal guidelines see man cleared of coercion charges
- 06:37 Family of X Factor Star Molly Scott tell of ‘emotional...
- 06:37 Santa Claus is coming to town for Hartlepool festive favourite
- 06:36 Wednesday’s best TV: Trevor McDonald and the Killer Nurse; The...
- 06:35 Civic hounour for Hebburn football stars
- 06:35 Family hope to trace cancer victim’s former workmates
- 06:35 Football club’s community programme creates first job