How humans got their hands: Researchers reveal genetic mutation left us with just five fingers - and say they are similar to fish fins
A recent study identified two genes responsible for the formation of both fin rays and human fingers, which 'clearly establishes a molecular link' between them.
But fossil records show our ancestors were polydactyl, meaning they had more than five digits per hand, which has left experts wondering why we only have five.
Now, researchers have discovered that this major morphological change did not occur through the addition of new genes, but from a mutation that transpired within them.
Scroll down for video
THE TRUTH ABOUT FINGERS In August, researchers from the University of Chicago... read more
- 03:08 NSW display class, style and flamboyance in State of Origin win
- 03:07 What’s in a wink? Lessons from Clinton, Corbyn and Rihanna
- 02:41 'I trusted my daughter's abuser with my life'
- 02:41 Scottish trade delegation heads to Berlin
- 02:41 Questions over Swansea Bay tidal lagoon decision delay
- 02:36 'New Zealand wants you': the problem with tech at the edge of the...
- 02:22 'Shakespeare would recognise this theatre... except the scaffolding'
- 02:19 Highly trained, respected and free: why Finland's teachers are...
- 02:17 £67m tax bill of bust scrap dealer firm
- 01:52 UK Top 40 singles chart to include video streaming figures
- 01:50 Love Island's Zara Holland reveals she's on anti depressants two...
- 01:50 Kelly Brook ADMITS she retouches her Instagram photos but insists...
- 01:50 Love Island presenter Caroline Flack pays tribute to 'beautiful...
- 01:50 Victoria Beckham jokes that she loves spending 'quality time' with...
- 01:50 Adele 'starts work on new music as she prepares to release fourth...
- 01:50 Kylie Minogue nails daytime glamour in star-print frock... as she...
- 01:50 Blac Chyna shows off her underboob in sheer, fringed dress at BET...
- 01:41 British tourist killed in hit-and-run in Cyprus
- 01:39 Revenues top £20m for law firm Morton Fraser
- 01:39 Fife firm making a splash with lobster pod storage system
- 01:35 UK singles chart to include videos watched on YouTube
- 01:33 Greenwich observatory: Astronomers to start studying the sky again
- 01:28 Clive Betts: Now is the time to allow ‘safe standing’ in football...
- 01:26 Sunderland schoolgirl takes part in rare sea baptism in South Shields
- 01:26 Hundreds turn out to mark Armed Forces Day in South Shields
- 01:23 Mexico town's entire police force detained after murder
- 01:23 Clive Betts: Now is the time to allow ‘safe standing’ in football...
- 01:20 Is Kirklees a dinosaur?
- 01:20 $esc.html($content.name)
- 01:12 Surprise as DNA reveals new group of Native Americans: the ancient...