How fat mothers are harming their babies: Those born to obese parents 'risk heart attacks, diabetes and asthma in later life'
Women need to be healthier before they conceive or risk their child developing a host of health problems, experts have warned.
Babies are being put at risk of brain damage, stroke, heart attack or asthma in adulthood because their mother was obese, scientists say.
A series of studies suggest the problem begins in the womb - with the time before couples begin a family representing a 'missed opportunity' to tackle it.
Research has also shown youngsters are more likely to pile on the pounds if their parents were overweight before they were born.
Leading doctors argue a new approach is needed... read more
- 18:55 20 month jail sentence for man who posted 32 racial hatred tweets
- 18:54 Temperatures reach 29.4C on the UK's hottest day of the year
- 18:48 Firearms incident: West Yorkshire Police called to street after...
- 18:48 'Buy the man a pint' - readers react to hero dad who saved boy from...
- 18:48 Jos Buttler: matchwinner with the courage and ability not to become...
- 18:48 Portugal vs Iran LIVE STREAM: How to watch Ronaldo in World Cup...
- 18:46 A590 clear after collision brings tailbacks
- 18:44 Citing Trump, woman in video calls Latino man 'rapist, animal, drug...
- 18:44 British driver clocked at 165mph during secret race in France
- 18:43 Music Review Swift lives up to her reputation
- 18:41 World Cup fans panic after Mohamed Salah’s subdued goal celebration...
- 18:38 Travel insurance to get easier to find for cancer sufferers and...
- 18:37 Southampton baby death: Teenager denies son's murder
- 18:34 Boris Johnson flew to Afghanistan to avoid Heathrow vote
- 18:33 Police issue warning after Cumbria hit by phone scam
- 18:33 Crossword roundup: more geometry and politics than football
- 18:32 CO2 shortage: Coca-Cola pauses production at some plants
- 18:31 Is this China's next aircraft carrier? Design of Beijing's third...
- 18:30 Gareth Southgate must weigh up options for England v Belgium decider
- 18:30 Bath and Wells Diocese to sell 12th Century office
- 18:30 Sir Jeremy Heywood to take break for cancer treatment
- 18:25 Train speed restrictions introduced as Britain faces 10-day heatwave
- 18:25 Disgraced bank manager given 2nd chance - and plunders coach firm's...
- 18:25 Mystery and sadness over death of much-loved swan in Sefton Park
- 18:24 Chester FC complete double swoop as Jon Moran and John Pritchard sign
- 18:24 What the law says you're allowed to do if you see a dog locked in a...
- 18:24 Chelsea transfer news: Manolas and Rugani ‘talks’, Hazard to Real...
- 18:24 Dele Alli injury: Gareth Southgate offers update on Spurs star...
- 18:23 Firearms incident: West Yorkshire Police called to street after...
- 18:22 Humans ‘probably only intelligent life in the Universe’