How EU fund rules leave gaps in investor protection
Pietro Maffi routinely checks his financial statements and has a good understanding of how his savings are being managed. At least he thought he did until he read the small print.
Maffi, a software engineer from the northern town of Pavia, invests in funds managed by Banca Mediolanum, an Italian bank. He knew one of those funds was based not in Italy, but in Ireland. What he didn't know until recently was that the fund uses a fee structure that is not allowed in Italy, and is out of line even with Ireland's own investor protection guidelines, which are non-binding.
That structure meant the... read more
- 12:56 Muharrem İnce concedes defeat to Erdoğan in Turkey elections
- 12:56 Ex-Nato chief refused visa waiver to US because of Iran trips
- 12:55 Police looking into woman’s death find 82 chihuahuas in horrifying...
- 12:55 A blistering day for bangers: Northampton’s sausage and cider...
- 12:55 Nearly 100 university students killed themselves last year - as...
- 12:54 The actors are here! Filming begins as Lincoln Cathedral becomes a...
- 12:54 Are you stuck with a frozen pension? Business owner whose pot is...
- 12:54 Behavioural science firm Mind Gym's founders to receive £50m from...
- 12:54 Carlisle thug jailed for attacking ex-girlfriend
- 12:52 YP Letters: Support for social care is desperately needed
- 12:52 YP Letters: Leaving EU is a fantastic opportunity to buy cheaper food
- 12:52 Here for the beer
- 12:52 How regeneration of Scotland's derelict houses is driving economic...
- 12:52 YP Letters: Don’t build new homeless hostel here
- 12:52 Which teams are out of the World Cup ahead of the last round of...
- 12:51 Kettering care home praised by inspectors
- 12:51 World record-breaking whale set to visit in Harrogate
- 12:51 Health advice for heatwave conditions
- 12:50 Leeds firm could be set to solve World Cup beer crisis
- 12:49 Here's how long the heatwave will last in Scotland
- 12:49 Pervert who 'robbed girl of her childhood' spared jail after...
- 12:48 World record-breaking whale set to visit in Harrogate
- 12:47 Former Sheffield man jailed for historic sex offences against girl
- 12:46 Celebrating our armed forces both past and present
- 12:46 Reunion for old Aylesbury manufacturing company
- 12:46 First-time buyers need 10 and a half years to save for a deposit
- 12:45 Steven Gerrard reveals his ONE regret about his playing career
- 12:45 "A set of cretins" - Wolves transfer saga takes bitter twist
- 12:45 This is the latest Aston Villa favourite to attract transfer...
- 12:45 Man jailed for 20 years for Liam "Smigger" Smith murder wants time...