How can the Brexit stalemate be broken?
It was obvious from the morning of 9 June 2017, when Theresa May woke up to find the electorate had stripped her of her majority, that crafting a Brexit that could win support in parliament as well as in Brussels would be a formidable challenge.
Since then, the prime minister has been masterful in postponing the inevitable moment of reckoning within her party – but the row about how closely Britain should cleave to the EU after March 2019 is now being fought in Westminster.
Since the Chequers agreement shifted the government’s position significantly in a soft Brexit direction, it has been... read more
- 10:04 Closed down South Hiendley school was 'fully ablaze' in fire
- 10:04 ‘Lunatic’ driver had son, 8, in car when he sped through Sheffield...
- 10:03 M62 accident causes lane closure traffic between Brighouse and...
- 10:03 The lost city of Atlanta
- 10:03 Part-night street lights to be affected when clocks go back
- 10:03 NBA brawls are infantile but they're not necessarily pointless
- 10:03 World Series 2018: The Red Sox or the Dodgers? Our writers’...
- 10:02 Guest at Northamptonshire wedding attacked paramedic
- 10:02 Champions League: Shakhtar Donetsk vs. Man City team news, starting...
- 10:01 What I Rent: Lee, £825 per month for a room in a two-bedroom flat...
- 10:01 Heysham man takes on Nepal trek to support women’s cancer charity
- 10:00 Driver cut out of car after smashing into railings in Tottington Road
- 10:00 Level of spending on home to school transport is 'unsustainable'...
- 09:59 Screamania event turns out to be a Halloween horror as people label...
- 09:59 Bridlington to Scarborough road blocked after crash
- 09:59 Deontay Wilder to get 50-50 split with Anthony Joshua if Tyson Fury...
- 09:57 Police appeal after man injured during mass brawl in Burnley
- 09:57 Farleys fashion show suits hospital charity just fine
- 09:56 Pret allergy death: parents to meet Gove over food labelling
- 09:55 Closed down South Hiendley school was 'fully ablaze' in fire
- 09:55 Carols at Warwick Castle to return
- 09:55 Brentford v Preston North End likely line-ups, key men, the referee...
- 09:54 Amputee PC told public how to save his life after car crash
- 09:54 Double stabbing in Sheffield ‘not linked’ to any other incident,...
- 09:52 Carols at Warwick Castle to return
- 09:52 Driver cut out of car after crashing into railings in Tottington Road
- 09:52 CCTV released of man wanted in connection with handbag theft from...
- 09:51 Eat Me Cafe forced to close after burst water pipe
- 09:51 Part-night street lights to be affected when clocks go back
- 09:50 Harborough's public should be consulted over removal of intensive...