How can the Brexit stalemate be broken?
It was obvious from the morning of 9 June 2017, when Theresa May woke up to find the electorate had stripped her of her majority, that crafting a Brexit that could win support in parliament as well as in Brussels would be a formidable challenge.
Since then, the prime minister has been masterful in postponing the inevitable moment of reckoning within her party – but the row about how closely Britain should cleave to the EU after March 2019 is now being fought in Westminster.
Since the Chequers agreement shifted the government’s position significantly in a soft Brexit direction, it has been... read more
- 18:05 Ander Herrera set to follow David De Gea in signing new Manchester...
- 18:04 Inmate at Doncaster prison given more time behind bars for...
- 18:02 Airdrie plant hire business ramps up eco credentials
- 18:02 Inmate at Doncaster prison given more time behind bars for...
- 18:02 Search for man who knocked woman's teeth out in Scarborough
- 18:01 Football fans' Babestation surprise at Bristol Rovers match
- 17:59 Myanmar Rohingya: Facebook 'still hosts hate speech'
- 17:57 Expectation level rises for impressive starting Leeds United
- 17:56 Average-sized parents stunned as 3 of their 4 kids have rare dwarfism
- 17:56 Everything you need to know about UTIs
- 17:56 Scientists hope sticking brain cells together could boost memory
- 17:55 New image shows how redesigned Fosse Park food court in Leicester...
- 17:55 This is what Garry Monk thought of Lee Camp and Gary Gardner's...
- 17:54 RBS comes bottom of bank league tables
- 17:54 Leeds hospitals make £260k from vending machines
- 17:54 Floodlight fire sees game abandoned
- 17:54 A Tale of Two Yorkshires: Crucial challenge ahead for Bradford, the...
- 17:53 Teacher ‘caught lying naked in bed with 17-year-old’ by another pupil
- 17:52 Love Island winners Jack Fincham and Dani Dyer coming to Edinburgh...
- 17:52 Putin to be surprise guest at Austria minister's wedding
- 17:51 Leeds hospitals make £260k from vending machines
- 17:51 A Tale of Two Yorkshires: Crucial challenge ahead for Bradford, the...
- 17:51 "We've got nothing to fear" - Manager's rousing message after...
- 17:51 Liverpool transfer news: Marko Grujic bid rejected due to permanent...
- 17:51 Returning Ben Gulliver ready to engage Coventry with community
- 17:50 The Tourism Times column with Tim Norman
- 17:49 Plans for car park at Glenfinnan Viaduct Harry Potter hotspot
- 17:49 Sheffield terror suspect 'close' to Manchester Arena bomber
- 17:47 Police release CCTV image following Kenilworth car break in
- 17:47 Staff shocked after Formula 1 driver's suit donated to Kenilworth...