Honduras homicides set to fall; anti-crime drive wanes - report
Murders in Honduras are on track to decline in 2016 even as the government's military drive against organised crime is running out of steam, the Observatory of Violence at the National Autonomous University of Honduras said on Tuesday.
A report by the observatory, which analyses crime statistics in the country, showed 2,568 violent deaths in the first half of 2016, down 3.4 percent from the year-ago period.
If the pace persists, Honduras would end 2016 with a homicide rate of 59.1 per 100,000 inhabitants, Migdonia Ayestas, director of the observatory, said in an interview.
In 2012, Honduras... read more
- 17:28 Man arrested after police called to stabbing in Leeds
- 17:28 Game Of Thrones stars Kit Harington and Rose Leslie arrive at...
- 17:28 Armed Forces Week officially starts in Carlisle
- 17:26 Red Arrows wow Solihull crowds at Land Rover 70th anniversary event
- 17:26 These alcoholic drinks actually make hayfever worse - and it...
- 17:26 Mo Salah ‘honoured’ with gift of citizenship from Chechen leader
- 17:26 Marin Cilic speaks out on avoiding Wimbledon blisters repeat
- 17:26 Lewis Hamilton storms into pole for resurrected French Grand Prix
- 17:26 Mum says primary schools shouldn’t give LGBT lessons without...
- 17:26 More than 560 migrants rescued from boat in Mediterranean
- 17:25 Baby hailed "miracle stick of dynamite" after being born when her...
- 17:25 Thousands of EU supporters march in London to call for final Brexit...
- 17:23 A warning for West Brom ahead of the 2018/19 Championship campaign
- 17:23 Aston Villa's most realistic replacement for John Terry: Everything...
- 17:23 Davina McCall, 50, flaunts washboard abs in bikini snaps - and fans...
- 17:20 Ex-Vatican diplomat jailed after being found guilty of possessing...
- 17:20 Would you have spotted this drowning child in time?
- 17:20 Body found in Derbyshire river
- 17:20 Heartbroken dancers stranded at Birmingham airport miss World Cup...
- 17:20 Hero fire crews rescue poor puppy trapped in wrecked van after crash
- 17:19 Liverpool Transfer News: Lyon chief makes major claim about Nabil...
- 17:18 The Big Interview: Anneli Ritari-Stewart, MD of iProspect
- 17:17 Man Utd transfer news: Jose Mourinho talks to Liverpool enemy...
- 17:15 Cycle safety campaign hailed as 'hugely positive' by Tour de Furness
- 17:15 Passengers back on track as Lakes Line replacement booms
- 17:14 DRC set for turmoil as Jean-Pierre Bemba expected home within weeks
- 17:14 Kashmir on edge after local government falls amid militant clashes
- 17:14 Cambodia: 33 pregnant women found in raid on child surrogacy ring
- 17:13 Thousands raised for Great North Air Ambulance at charity ball
- 17:13 Supermarkets are rationing frozen food as CO2 crisis left them...