Historic hotel wins controversial marquee extension in Sutton Coldfield
An historic hotel has won temporary permission to keep its marquee for lucrative weddings - but bosses have been told 'enough is enough'.
The Grade I listed New Hall Hotel in Sutton Coldfield dates back to around the 13th Century and is thought to be first inhabited moated house in England.
But controversy surrounds the marquee on its grounds which has been used since 2004 to host weddings and other functions.
Bosses Hand Picked Hotels had permission from Birmingham City Council to keep the 42ft by 101ft structure in place until 2020, but applied for an extension until 2025 because they... read more
- 18:21 Novak Djokovic aims dig at ATP on eve of World Team Cup annoucement
- 18:19 Book Review Chaos theory on the dark side
- 18:20 Violent crime rises by 16 per cent in Northamptonshire over one year
- 18:19 Theatre Review Ducking painful truths
- 18:19 Theatre Review Pinter to perfection
- 18:19 Labour confident its Brexiters will vote against May's deal
- 18:17 Deliveroo riders denied rights to collective bargaining, court told
- 18:17 SSE-npower merger at risk over price cap and lost customers
- 18:17 Outlaw King: behind the scenes at the film shoot
- 18:17 Enjoy a Christmas day out to remember forever at Twycross Zoo
- 18:15 Put forward your community champion for MP’s competition
- 18:13 El Chapo trial: judge rebukes defense attorney over opening statement
- 18:13 Woman on trial over child found in squalid car boot in France
- 18:13 Kweku Adoboli deported to Ghana on flight from Heathrow
- 18:13 Climate change is making hurricanes even more destructive, research...
- 18:12 Ben Ryan: ‘If rugby were a company people would be comparing it to...
- 18:12 Comic paid to NOT perform her 'bondage' show at club as part of...
- 18:11 Mother Shipton’s scoops accolade for ‘best event’
- 18:11 Put forward your community champion for MP’s competition
- 18:06 Jim Acosta: White House defends revoking CNN man's access
- 18:06 Trump's attack on Macron lacked 'common decency', France says
- 18:05 Class acts earn silver accolade for healthy food
- 18:03 Sheffield congestion charge: ‘Drivers need an alternative’
- 18:03 Charles Bronson tells Leeds Crown Court attempt GBH trial jury he...
- 18:01 More than 400 people join Birmingham 'vigilante group' to protect...
- 18:01 Charles Bronson tells Leeds Crown Court attempt GBH trial jury he...
- 17:58 Body found in River Mersey this morning identified
- 17:57 Seth Meyers on CNN suing Trump: 'He's been served more than the Big...
- 17:56 Liverpool news: £85m Dembele bid, Van Dijk on De Ligt deal, Alisson...
- 17:55 Are we really in the middle of a global sex recession?