Hijacked sperm delivered chemotherapy to cervical cancer tumors in exciting new study
Sperm may have a new purpose in its short life: fighting cancer.
German scientists fitted sperm with a microscopic harnesses, driving them to tumor cells, and releasing them, where - instead of delivering genetic material - they dropped a cancer-killing payload.
Chemotherapy can effectively treat many cancers, but it also damages healthy cells in the process, leading to the drug's unpleasant side effects, like intense nausea.
The experiment used cattle sperm, which effectively contained and delivered the chemo in simulated bodies, but it is unclear if that sperm would work in real human... read more
- 15:54 Dad on trial accused of stabbing own toddler son
- 15:54 A TV channel showing nothing but Christmas films has been launched
- 15:54 13-year-old Leeds girl sexually assaulted in ginnel by man who...
- 15:54 Police hunt gang after 'demolition derby' ramming attack on two...
- 15:54 New challenge for Lancaster hospice fundraisers
- 15:54 'We need everyone involved': activist nuns pressure Smith & Wesson...
- 15:52 13-year-old Leeds girl sexually assaulted in ginnel by man who...
- 15:52 Labour 'likely to scrap universal credit system'
- 15:51 Roadworks warning: Where to expect delays on Wednesday, September...
- 15:51 High winds could be dangerous at Sheffield tower blocks
- 15:51 Sheffield leads in world-wide diabetes project
- 15:50 Why Noah Centineo is the internet’s latest crush
- 15:50 Why is there a metal detector at Leicester station? Police reveal...
- 15:50 Nottinghamshire set for Indian Summer as temperatures rise
- 15:49 Organic Gardens in talks with Coventry University ahead of...
- 15:49 Here’s what is going to happen to landmark A46 pub on edge of...
- 15:48 High winds could be dangerous at Sheffield tower blocks
- 15:48 Sheffield leads in world-wide diabetes project
- 15:48 Chelsea news: Gianfranco Zola makes Eden Hazard prediction...
- 15:47 Hazelrigg stable makes winning start to National Hunt season
- 15:46 Former prisoner caught with cannabis farm is SPARED jail - here's why
- 15:45 Derbyshire set for Indian Summer as temperatures rise
- 15:45 Operating theatre push for Head Medical
- 15:45 2018 PDC World Grand Prix darts dates, qualifiers, fixtures,...
- 15:44 Arsenal injury update: Unai Emery welcomes two stars back after...
- 15:44 Horse Racing Tips: Goodwood, Perth, Redcar, Wolverhampton
- 15:44 Two men wanted after morning stabbing near Daventry industrial estate
- 15:42 Merseyrail U-Turn over SOME Giants trains after public backlash
- 15:40 Masked heroes set to take Banbury’s Castle Quay by storm
- 15:40 Deddington stroke survivor’s festival dubbed a ‘huge success’