Here’s why grouse shooting is bad for the Scottish countryside – Robbie Marsland
Problems of social justice and animal welfare trump any number of positives about grouse shooting, writes Robbie Marsland.
Best estimates suggest that almost 20 per cent of Scotland is a grouse moor. In recent years, these moors have come under increasing scrutiny.
The scale of wildlife crime, most notably the killing of eagles and hen harriers, has led a concerned Scottish Government to set up the Werrity Commission to review the activities on grouse moors and how this interacts with the environment and local communities.
The Commission’s brief is wider than raptor persecution and covers... read more
- 05:30 Glasgow software firm lands digital funding
- 05:24 Spice Girls' Geri says romp with Mel B confirmed she WASN'T a lesbian
- 05:23 Russian military officials arrive in Venezuela to discuss 'training...
- 05:18 Woman defrauded her widowed mother-in-law out of thousands of...
- 05:18 New £21m University of Lincoln medical school set to get the go-ahead
- 05:18 In the courts of Lincolnshire
- 05:18 More 200,000 voters in Lincolnshire are on open register where...
- 05:12 Ethiopian Airlines Flight ET302: Hull family visit the 'humble'...
- 05:12 Libby Squire: The CCTV footage which could hold the clues to...
- 05:12 The latest on THAT transfer between Newcastle United and West Brom...
- 05:11 Morrison government set to offer taxpayer backing for Queensland power
- 05:11 Five opposition parties call on UK to end arms sales to Saudi Arabia
- 05:11 The week ahead for Brexit: third time lucky for May?
- 05:05 Anglesey man's autism helped by mountain hikes
- 05:05 Smacking ban in Wales a step closer with bill published
- 05:05 Edinburgh Waverley: Station expansion plans to be revealed
- 05:05 Drugs smuggled into Guys Marsh prison in dead rats
- 05:05 Brexit: Cabinet to meet amid pressure on May
- 05:03 Ban cars outside UK schools to tackle air pollution, teachers say
- 04:59 Victorian father loses legal battle to stop child having hyphenated...
- 04:49 Heartbroken dad denied life-saving operation by NHS chiefs and...
- 04:49 Sir Alex Ferguson helps raise £405k for NHS after staff saved his...
- 04:49 Young mum slashed from ear to mouth by ex reveals thug still...
- 04:49 'I had a choice, I had power' Brave domestic abuse survivor relives...
- 04:47 What's happening this week?
- 04:47 The woman bringing Mandarin to Uganda
- 04:47 Delhi Crime: New drama tells story of bus rape investigation
- 04:47 Venezuela crisis: Russian military planes land near Caracas
- 04:47 Cyclone Veronica: Destructive winds and rain lash Australia
- 04:39 Coventry City chief speaks out as club favourites wade into Ricoh...