Healthy women should take breast cancer pill, says NICE
Hundreds of thousands of healthy women should take pills to cut their risk of breast cancer, says NHS watchdog NICE.
The draft guidelines for England say women predisposed to breast cancer because of a strong family history of the disease need this protection.
There are now three drugs to choose from - tamoxifen, raloxifene and, for the first time, anastrozole.
Anastrozole is cheaper than the other two and, for some women, has fewer side-effects and is more effective.
Which one is best? Trials show that per 1,000 patients taking anastrozole for five years, 35 cancer cases would be prevented... read more
- 14:57 EasyJet cancels hundreds of flights
- 14:56 Fun, fun, fun all summer long
- 14:54 Explosion rocks Zimbabwe president's rally
- 14:54 LOOKING BACK: What made the news 25, 50 and 100 years ago in Buxton...
- 14:53 Work to begin on nearly 70 homes in Coundon
- 14:53 Your chance to attend Masquerade Ball at Grade One listed historic...
- 14:53 'Spanish plume’ could bring Britain’s hottest day in three years...
- 14:51 Gardening: Why you need to beware red lily beetles
- 14:50 World Cup group H: Poland vs. Colombia team news, kick-off time and...
- 14:50 Mum spends £4k on flights for wedding abroad - then she's told her...
- 14:50 EasyJet cancels hundreds of flights
- 14:45 Face on a fiver? The Cumbrians children want to see on a Lake...
- 14:44 Urgent appeal after Bournemouth food bank trashed
- 14:44 Thousands march for Scottish independence
- 14:43 Brilliant Marin Cilic downs Nick Kyrgios to reach Queen’s final
- 14:41 Dangers of playing on building sites being hammered home to youngsters
- 14:39 TV’s all-female wrestling drama Glow blazes a trail
- 14:38 Katie Arrington: Republican congressional hopeful seriously hurt in...
- 14:37 Horror of dog that chewed off its own TAIL
- 14:37 Chelsea star Eden Hazard sets World Cup record with Belgium goal...
- 14:37 Thousands of campaigners take part in People’s Vote Brexit protest
- 14:34 Mum goes missing from hospital without her newborn son days after...
- 14:34 Family's horror as two pets die after 'eating poisoned sausage'
- 14:33 Face on a fiver? The Cumbrians children want to see on a Lake...
- 14:32 Didier Drogba reveals Romelu Lukaku used his advice to score...
- 14:31 Two motorcyclists seriously hurt in Mytholmroyd crash
- 14:27 Garden is alive with a feast for all the senses
- 14:25 Thug who beat up ex over chicken kiev sticks two fingers up after...
- 14:22 Ultra-processed foods may be linked to cancer, says study
- 14:22 Picture special: Thousands raised at inaugural Chloe and Liam...