Heady stuff: Salome, a bloody and brutal heroine for our age?
Australian theatre director Adena Jacobs says her new production of Salome – opening at the London Coliseum later this week – will be “mythic, feminine and brutally contemporary”. Richard Strauss’s 1905 opera, based on Oscar Wilde’s play, was always contemporary, always brutal. Any tale involving a severed head, a pathological, nubile virgin and her perverted stepfather runs that risk.
It is unlikely Jacobs will recreate the shock that Strauss’s opera – and Wilde’s play – generated more than a century ago. The opera premiered in Dresden on 9 December 1905 and, despite – or because of – its... read more
- 03:37 Ambani-Piramal wedding: Beyoncé sings at A-list Indian event
- 03:14 Roger the kangaroo: Enormous roo dies aged 12
- 03:06 Should homeless people be expected to live in a box?
- 03:06 Legal aid advice network 'decimated' by funding cuts
- 03:06 Three Northern Ireland ambulance staff attacked by patient
- 03:06 Carwyn Jones considered quitting over Carl Sargeant death
- 02:27 Yellow vest protests: Macron to hold crisis meeting
- 02:26 Isha Ambani wedding: Beyoncé and Hillary Clinton jet to India for...
- 01:54 Armenia election: PM Nikol Pashinyan ahead in snap poll
- 01:45 Jamal Khashoggi murder: Saudi Arabia refuses to extradite suspects...
- 01:41 The women who have less power than you think
- 01:41 Five things to know this week: Will Google manage to calm Trump?
- 01:41 Why women in South Korea are cutting 'the corset'
- 01:23 Top score award given to Kelsey sharpshooter
- 01:19 Angela Smith: The People’s Vote is only way out of Brexit gridlock
- 01:19 Jayne Dowle: Where are the apprentices to build the future?
- 01:19 Claire Holland: Brexit reveals the need to tackle our skills...
- 01:15 First two F-35A fighter jets to arrive in Australia amid warning on...
- 01:12 BBC Sound of 2019: Which rising stars have made the longlist?
- 01:00 Watchdog targets 'anti-competitive' ports deal involving NSW...
- 00:43 Sudoku 4,239 easy
- 00:42 'I was divorced and missed having company'
- 00:42 Called the wrong name at work? Awkward...
- 00:42 November shopper footfall down as Black Friday bites
- 00:38 The Yorkshire Post says: Care conundrum – the price of political...
- 00:38 The Yorkshire Post says: If only it was this easy, Boris, as...
- 00:35 Fans with flares will be stopped, warn police ahead of crunch...
- 00:34 Tackle climate or face financial crash, say world's biggest investors
- 00:34 UK high streets face quietest Christmas since credit crunch
- 00:34 BP faces shareholder challenge over carbon targets