Hayley Atwell to star in BBC series of Andrea Levy's The Long Song
Hayley Atwell and Sir Lenny Henry will star in a TV adaptation of Andrea Levy’s bestselling novel The Long Song, the BBC has announced.
The three-part series will also star Tamara Lawrance and Jack Lowden.
Set during the final days of slavery in 19th-century Jamaica, the story follows the strong-willed young slave July, played by Lawrance.
Atwell plays the odious plantation owner Caroline Mortimer, while Lowden appears as Robert Goodwin, the charming new overseer who is determined to improve the plantation for the slaves and mistress alike.
Henry will play Godfrey in the BBC One series,... read more
- 11:42 Emery grabs the only goal as Town take another step to title
- 11:42 Drunk driver arrested for hit and run in Selby
- 11:42 Apprentices from Burnley blazing a trail for business success in...
- 11:41 Automation could replace 1.5 million jobs, says ONS
- 11:40 UB40’s Brian Travers has brain tumour, thanks fans letting him...
- 11:40 How Tesco is changing the way it sells fruit and veg
- 11:40 DWP staff reveal the truth about Universal Credit
- 11:40 Meet the bikers fighting back against the thieves taking their...
- 11:40 Spring clean to be held in Wooler
- 11:40 Treble tops for Warwickshire Bears but Ash almost bailed out
- 11:40 Brave six-year-old Sophia donates bone marrow to little brother
- 11:40 'Witch-hunt' claim as Labour leader reacts to meeting on Arch concerns
- 11:40 This former Birmingham City man is on the lookout for yet ANOTHER club
- 11:40 Man stabbed in Shrewsbury town centre in broad daylight at 8.30am...
- 11:40 Two dead after horror Market Drayton crash involving motorbike and...
- 11:39 Fancy a new build home in Mansfield Woodhouse?
- 11:39 Joan Hoggett death: Top prosecutor urges people to have their say...
- 11:39 Police are hunting this taxi driver after hit and run in York
- 11:38 Gainsborough sight loss support group issues call for volunteers
- 11:37 What will happen to the EHIC after Brexit?
- 11:37 Teenager arrested after police raid finds knife and shotgun in flat
- 11:37 Student sleeps for three weeks at a time because of ‘sleeping...
- 11:37 Bailiff gets her car clamped while on the job for parking on...
- 11:37 Teachers would back car-free roads outside schools, survey suggests
- 11:37 Criminals smuggling drugs and phones into prison in dead rats
- 11:37 Brexit: EU says no-deal is now ‘increasingly likely’
- 11:36 Take That will be on the big screen in Halifax for one night only
- 11:35 Plans for 130 homes in Hampton Magna recommended for approval
- 11:35 The weird and wonderful journey our water takes before we drink it
- 11:35 Alan Moore 'impressed' by Northampton Film Festival