Hawking: Did he change views on disability?
Stephen Hawking was both one of the world's most famous scientists and most famous disabled people.
His life was a juxtaposition of sparkling intellect and failing body.
Prof Hawking was diagnosed with a rare form of motor neurone disease when he was 22.
The nerves that controlled his muscles were failing and he became trapped in his body, but his mind was still free.
He reached the height of his field while being wheelchair-bound and communicating through a synthetic voice.
So did he change society's perceptions of disability?
Skip Twitter post by @NyleDiMarco Stephen Hawking...
A... read more
- 14:31 Get discounted tickets for Osberton Horse Trials
- 14:30 Drug offences up by a third in Kettering
- 14:30 Asda, Morrisons and Sainsbury’s cut petrol prices
- 14:28 Medic becomes third person infected with monkeypox in England
- 14:28 Peek behind the scenes as Buxton’s Octagon gets ready to reopen...
- 14:28 Tiger boat challenge raises £6,000 for charities
- 14:26 Temporary water repair causes Bloxham Road misery
- 14:25 Mum reveals shocking truth behind the black marks left on baby...
- 14:22 University of Leicester named on list of the world's best universities
- 14:21 A59 at Kex Gill: Repair dates unveiled for troubled route into...
- 14:21 Police hunt for wanted Berwick man
- 14:20 Brighter future for Sandsend’s church
- 14:19 Asda, Morrisons and Sainsbury’s cut petrol prices
- 14:16 Birmingham pub bomb suspects won't be named
- 14:15 Transgender policy "does not put girls at risk", says Girlguiding
- 14:15 Anger as vulnerable Perry Barr residents 'left without heating for...
- 14:15 Drink driver crashed in Worksop
- 14:13 Swedish delegates visit Hull to learn how flood defence schemes are...
- 14:13 Pioneering head leaves Rugby Free Primary School
- 14:12 Height restriction removed from Alnwick homes permission
- 14:12 Council chiefs defend mayor’s £34,000 catering bill
- 14:12 Affordable housing concerns raised as new homes approved
- 14:12 Tiger Woods swinging the club better than ever before, says Phil...
- 14:11 Sheffield man jailed for ‘lorry surfing’ during fracking protest
- 14:11 Contractor working on Horncastle’s roadworks was lucky to avoid...
- 14:10 This is why Sheffield’s very first Mud Madness event for Bluebell...
- 14:10 Sheffield man jailed for ‘lorry surfing’ during fracking protest
- 14:10 FEATURE: The week Northampton became a 'student town' as thousands...
- 14:10 Well-known 'Hansel and Gretel' house in Leeds for sale
- 14:10 Leeds B&M refused to sell 15-rated DVD to 74-year-old grandmother...