Has university found a way to slow down the impact of getting older?
Research by scientists could slow down the effects of ageing – and be a huge boost in the battle against conditions like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease.
The team at the University of Nottingham has discovered that a specific type of protein in a particular part of cells seems to be largely responsible for the ageing process.
Tests showed that the protein, called carbonic anhydrase, was present in higher quantities in the brain and muscle cells of middle-aged mice than in young mice. Crucially, there were also high amounts of it in mice which were young but already had some brain... read more
- 18:41 Firefighters scramble to blaze as row of bungalows catch fire
- 18:40 Two arrested after man attacked with machete inside car on Leeds Road
- 18:36 World Cup live Germany vs Sweden: Ozil axed by Germany for crunch game
- 18:31 Two arrested after man attacked with machete inside car on Leeds Road
- 18:30 First pictures as Game of Thrones stars Kit Harington and Rose...
- 18:27 Jonny May stops England rot with decisive try in third South Africa...
- 18:27 Britain set to bask in temperatures as hot as Spain
- 18:21 Danielle Lloyd 'can't stop thinking' about tragic Love Island star...
- 18:21 EastEnders's Ronnie Mitchell actress Samantha Womack debuts new...
- 18:20 Crushing pills before swallowing them could kill you, experts warn
- 18:20 Doncaster House of Fraser store closure confirmed as creditors...
- 18:18 Mesut Ozil dropped for Germany’s key World Cup clash against Sweden
- 18:18 Novak Djokovic explains on-court frustration after reaching...
- 18:16 Among the blue flags: Views from the pro-EU march
- 18:16 Greater Manchester Police 'knew boy was with paedophile'
- 18:13 Mesut Ozil dropped for Germany’s key World Cup clash against Sweden
- 18:12 Mexico hold off South Korea to pile pressure on Germany
- 18:08 In pictures: Game of Thrones stars arrive at church for wedding
- 18:08 Dele Alli, Kyle Walker and co in England training ahead of World...
- 18:05 Armistice event in Cleethorpes
- 18:02 BREAKING: Chorley appoint Vermiglio as manager after Jansen exit
- 18:00 Body found in search for missing Hatton pensioner
- 18:00 Germany vs Sweden LIVE: Team news and World Cup updates from Group...
- 18:00 Nabil Fekir: Could Man Utd beat Liverpool and Real Madrid to...
- 18:00 World Cup 2018: Belgium injury fear for England clash - three stars...
- 17:52 Love Island set for massive shake-up as Jack's ex heads for villa
- 17:52 How Love Island stars were told of Sophie Gradon's heartbreaking death
- 17:52 Stephanie Davis spoke to tragic Love Island star Sophie Gradon days...
- 17:52 Boots is having a huge suncream sale - and you can save £50
- 17:52 Martin Lewis reveals how every Nando's diner can save money with...