'Hammer attacker' chased and pinned down by victim's friend who heard his screams for help
A man has spoken of the dramatic moment he helped stop a hammer-wielding burglar who attacked his friend in his own home.
It is understood the victim had returned to his home in Queen's Gate Street, near Bacheler Street, west Hull, after getting his morning paper when he was attacked by a man who had lay in wait for him.
Hearing screams, the man's friends say they rushed to help him and chased the burglar before pinning him down and handing him over to the police.
The victim's friend, who did not want to be named, said: "He had gone to the paper shop like he does every morning but this... read more
- 20:20 New era dawns for Calton Hill as gallery and restaurant revealed
- 20:20 Videogames and robotics to go on line at Dundee’s V&A
- 20:18 Girl, 12, was 'bullied at school' before she was found dead
- 20:14 Eerie footage shows charred remains of ECHO Arena car park finally...
- 20:12 Mummified remains of baby found by siblings emptying dead mum’s house
- 20:11 Ask Her to Stand: What's stopping women becoming MPs?
- 20:11 M4 crash: Drunk driver killed girlfriend in 'catastrophic' smash
- 20:11 Brexit: May to return to Brussels for last-ditch talks
- 20:06 Driving tests are changing in the UK this week - here's how and why
- 20:06 The unknown iPhone hack being hailed 'revolutionary' by texters
- 20:05 Libraries to receive sets of Muriel Spark novels to mark centenary
- 20:04 Khashoggi murder: Calls to remove Saudi crown prince 'a red line'
- 20:01 Double-dipping and blowing out birthday candles really does cover...
- 20:00 Voting is Open for the FutureTown Design Competition 2018
- 20:00 Gearing up for important winter work on busy Northumberland road
- 20:00 Livid I'm A Celebrity fans complain to Ofcom after Anne Hegerty...
- 19:57 Hunt still on for those responsible for two fatal Sheffield stabbings
- 19:57 Ozell Pemberton murder: Police release shocking CCTV footage of...
- 19:53 Life sciences sector set for £40m boost to create North-east hub
- 19:53 Victorian election debate: Daniel Andrews forced to defend bail for...
- 19:53 Berkeley Group bosses were accused of engaging in years of bribery
- 19:44 Outpouring of support for critically ill activist Harry Leslie Smith
- 19:43 Attlee child refugee recalls 'extraordinary love' of family
- 19:43 Tories clinging to office by the fingertips, says Labour peer
- 19:41 Man charged with murder of Coupar Angus boy Kane Morris
- 19:39 Calls for traffic lights to be removed as drivers stuck for hours...
- 19:38 Miconex launches site to revive British high streets
- 19:35 'A 1-0 battering' Our writers predict the outcome as Wolves welcome...
- 19:35 Martin Lewis's heartwarming advice to parents worried about not...
- 19:35 'Squeaky Robins is our king!' What Coventry City fans said ahead of...